Help with installing software, please.

deneka 18:13 11 Jul 2006

I have been given an Epson Stylus C44 Plus printer & a Packard Bell scanner (don't know model), I also have the installation discs for both, however I'm having problems installing them.
I have plugged both things into the USB ports of the PC and they are working ok as the power lights come on, but I can't install the software onto the pc.
Each time I put the discs into the D:\ I get the following message :

c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application.

The options are Close & Ignore.

Have tried clicking both and am still unable to do anything, also have tried installing manually using an installation wizard, but still can't do it.

When I go to control panel and click on the add new hardware bit, the scanner is showing on there as added, can't see the printer though. I have no icons on my desktop or anything so know that the software isn't on the pc.

Any suggestions?

VoG II 18:16 11 Jul 2006

click here and scroll down to XP_FIX.EXE to download the fix.

pj123 18:19 11 Jul 2006

Don't know about the scanner but Epson printers must NOT be connected until the software has been installed. During the install you will be told when to connect and switch on the printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?