Help installing a new Hard-drive

Seelmeister 09:13 08 Mar 2005

My current system has a 40 GB hard-drive, which was not enough for all the games/software I had. So I bought a new 120GB Hard Drive with the intention of setting it up as a slave drive.

I opened up my PC, fitted the new drive, set the jumper settings to slave (made sure my old drive was set as master) and fired up the unit.

The Bios detected the new slave drive right away, and when Windows XP started it found the new hardware, identified it as a drive and told me it was installed. However, I can't access the drive in my computer, it isn't displayed.

Any Idea what could be wrong? My motherboard is a new socket 754, with an AMD 64 3200+ installed, so I'm guessing that the problem isn't my system.

ACOLYTE 09:19 08 Mar 2005

You need to go into Disk Managment and format the Drive then it will show up in My Computer.

SANTOS7 09:36 08 Mar 2005

You don't say what make your new HDD is, if it is Maxtor perchance remove the jumper (bridging block) completely and try again.....

Seelmeister 09:50 08 Mar 2005

My origional 40Gb hard-drive is a Maxtor, so I've removed the jumper from that (which according to the manual sets it too slave) I've then set the new 120GB hard drive (A western Digital hadr drive) to master, and the bios is detecting it fine.

How would I go about formatting the drive?

TomJerry 10:21 08 Mar 2005

control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management, and then you can creat partition and format there

Chegs ® 10:22 08 Mar 2005

If you have an XP CD,use it to format the drive.Or,use XP's Disk Management click here

Totally-braindead 13:00 08 Mar 2005

The advice above will work or you could download the Lifeguard tool from Western Digital and use that, the instructions on its use are on the website click here

ACOLYTE 22:40 11 Mar 2005

Any luck with the drive?

Seelmeister 17:45 14 Mar 2005

Sorry guys, its been a while but work has been piling up. The hard drive is working now, thanks very much for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?