Help with initial installation

TIMSMITH 12:40 05 Mar 2006

Thanks to a great deal of advice from Advisor contributors, I've decided to order an Axis RD A-List from Mesh. However, I'm not sure whether I need to pay the £60 or thereabouts for them to set it up for me on delivery. I'm not an idiot but neither am I a whizz when it comes to PCs. Is it dead easy to set up from the box or should one pay the extra for someone to do it for you? (I've read here and there about people having problems with BIOSs that ran too fast on set-up and things like that which to me might as well be Greek.) I thought that if I tried to set it up myself and had difficulties I could just ring Evesham for assistance - or am I being naive?
Thanks you.

Gongoozler 12:50 05 Mar 2006

Hi TIMSMITH. With a new computer you shouldn't need to touch the BIOS. If you are familiar with computers then I doubt that you'll have any problems with setting up the new one. I think it's really a matter of whether it is worth paying £60 for the peace of mind from knowing that the computer is working satisfactorily before you start using it.

johndrew 13:08 05 Mar 2006

`an Axis RD A-List from Mesh.` `I could just ring Evesham for assistance`

Bit cheeky really isn`t it?

TIMSMITH 14:11 05 Mar 2006

From what I've heard of Mesh's after sales, you might as well ring Evesham if you have one of their PCs (unsubstantiated bias, there, from me). No, quite rightly, I should have said the Axis from Evesham, not MESH.

TIMSMITH 14:15 05 Mar 2006

Thanks for that advice. Without meaning to sound a complete ignoraumus, is there anything more complicated to setting up a new pc and getting it going than conntecting wires and running software cds? Or am I out of touch?

Gongoozler 14:46 05 Mar 2006

You will have to set up your internet connections. You may also be asked to enter your details so that Windows will be registered to you.

johndrew 15:25 05 Mar 2006

I must admit I was turned off Mesh by the many unhappy postings re their post sales support. Having said that Evesham were loath to add to a basic machine and made it clear in the price they quoted. I went to a small independent and am glad I did. They provided a quality PC to do what I wanted at a reasonable price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?