Help!, I'm unable to install the ATI Drivers

Shepstar 10:03 21 Aug 2006

My brother purchased a new computer a few months ago and as he is lazy, could not be bothered to install antivirus protection. Anyway the inevitable happened, which resulted in me reformatting his HD and reinstalling windows (with the addition of Antivirus Software).

Everything now works except his graphics cards (2* ATI Radeon X1600 with crossfire)
every time I try to install the drivers 'Computer says no!'. I get the message that I should install a standard VGA driver first.

This confuses me because as far as my technical skills can tell me, I only have a standard VGA Driver installed at the moment.

Can anyone explain in layman's terms what I am supposed to do?

T0SH 10:53 21 Aug 2006

If you are using Windows XP or 2K try installing the new drivers from safe mode if this fails there is another option from the safe mode menu to boot up in VGA mode

Cheers HC

Stuartli 10:58 21 Aug 2006

See:

click here

for excellent and well written advice.

I have an ATi card and the driver, but I don't use the Catalyst side - ATI Tray Tools is a fraction of the size of Catalyst and does all that it does as well..:-)

click here

Shepstar 11:21 21 Aug 2006

Thanks guys, I'm at work at the moment, but I'll give it a try this evening.

One thing though how do I start in safe mode, when I have a boot problem the option autmaticaly appears, but how do I initiate it myself.

Any and all assistance greatfully appreciated

961 11:51 21 Aug 2006

Usually press F8 as boot up occurs

Shepstar 14:17 22 Aug 2006

OK, I managed to boot in safe mode, but I still got the same message about installing a standard VGA driver first.

Also there was not an option to boot in VGA mode, is this a problem or is it not an option for every computer?

In case it's important the computer runs on Windows XP Media Centre Edition

woodchip 14:23 22 Aug 2006

Have you tried loading them in Safe Mode. You can only do it from Hard Drive not CD. If on CD copy to Desktop then run setup from that

Shepstar 16:14 22 Aug 2006

Yes, thats what I tried

maybe there is a standard VGA driver thet I am supposed to install, is that a possibility? because I thought the standard drivers were on my windows cd.

I think I'll try the omega drivers tonight, with any luck it'll work, but if the omega's are based on ATI drivers is it not likely that it will provide the same message.

I guess I'll find out tonight

skell 17:02 22 Aug 2006

reinstall your motherbaord drivers.. sounds like you may have some missing. also, in device manager look under system devices and make sure the AGP controller is present.

Shepstar 22:25 22 Aug 2006

I'm stunned

I turn the computer on tonight it loads up and suddenly everything works, I have no idea what I finnaly did or which of all of your advice worked, but its sorted

thanks everyone

skell 23:07 22 Aug 2006

check which graphics driver you have coz windows may have loaded its default driver for your card when you rebooted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?