Help before I thrown computer out of the window !

hallgreen 19:09 20 Jan 2008

I have posted a few quesries about freezing computer and had some helpful replies but the problme still persists. I think what is more frustrating is that it will work fine for hours and then start freezing every 5 mins.

EG Today;
Turned on at 7.30 and left until 1.30 (used occasionally) and didn't freeze once.
turned on at 7.00pm and has frozen 4 times in 45 mins.
Ther doesn't seem to be any pattern except it's worse in the evenings!
Also when you try to turn on after a "freeze" it can take 20 attempts before anything happens.

Any ideas.

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 20 Jan 2008

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

mfletch 19:12 20 Jan 2008

It may be a over heating problem,

Is the fan running,

When did you last clean inside the computer,

mfletch

hallgreen 19:16 20 Jan 2008

Thanks for the help. I don't think it's overheating as it freezes within 2 mins this evening and ran for 5 or 6 hours no problem this morning.

It seems to either run fine for hours or freeze every 2 minutes (and then suddenly run fine again until the next day!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 20 Jan 2008

It seems to either run fine for hours or freeze every 2 minutes (and then suddenly run fine again until the next day!)

PSU replacement may be in order.

hallgreen 19:34 20 Jan 2008

I'm a complete computer dunce so don't really know what a PSU is!

is it expensive and is there a way I can check if it may be the PSU without pulling the computer apart.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:42 20 Jan 2008

Power Supply Unit

These can cause alsorts of problems as they start to die, complete failure PC dead, sudden reboots, to freezing.

Difficult to test fully but the cheapest component to replace (but do not skimp)

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

Graham. 19:42 20 Jan 2008

Have a look in Event Viewer: Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, double click System. Any Errors?

sinbads 20:02 20 Jan 2008

click here;2;fpid;10005;o;0;id;617065309

woodchip 20:02 20 Jan 2008

try reducing all programs that start at boot by going to run and type msconfig tick the box diagnostic startup, try running with it like that for a bit

hallgreen 21:08 20 Jan 2008

Hello

There are errors on the System mentioned by Graham and when I click on them it takes me to this Microsoft message below. I'm guessing but i think this is more to do with the difficulty in re starting after a freeze than the freeze itself (but what do I know!)

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7022
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_HUNG

Explanation
The specified service is stuck in the start pending state. The service failed to indicate that it is making progress within the time period indicated in its last status message.

User Action
If the service does not restart, click Start, click Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then start the service manually. If the problem persists, contact the service vendor.

Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_HUNG

Explanation
The specified service is stuck in the start pending state. The service failed to indicate that it is making progress within the time period indicated in its last status message.

User Action
If the service does not restart, use Services in Control Panel\Administrative Tools to start the service manually. If the problem persists, contact the service vendor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache