help i need to install a dvd/rw

dizzy bird 18:58 05 Nov 2006

hello i bought a new dvd/rw from pc world it is a liteon product which didnt come with a install disk can anybody help

SB23 19:09 05 Nov 2006

Shouldn't matter. Take old one out, replace with new one, windows will find it.
I've just done same thing, apart from a little problem with the Dma settings which I sorted, all works well.

Steve

Stuartli 19:10 05 Nov 2006

You don't need an installation disk - Windows operating systems all automatically install the basic CDROM driver, which is all that is required, when you reboot your system after installing an optical drive.

The function of a CD or DVD rewriter is controlled by software such as Nero Burning Rom.

If you only have one drive i.e. the rewriter, set the jumper on the rear to Master (it will most likely already be on this setting).

If you have another drive, such as a CD or DVD-ROM drive, this has to be jumpered to Slave.

Stuartli 19:14 05 Nov 2006

Re SB23's point about DMA (Direct Memory Access), once the drive is installed go to Device Manager>IDE Controllers>highlight the Secondary IDE Channel>right click>Properties>Advanced Settings.

Choose "Use DMA when Available" in both menus; it's also worth checking that this is also Enabled for the Primary IDE Channel (hard drive(s)).

SB23 19:24 05 Nov 2006

Another thing as Stuartli said check you jumper settings. I replaced 2 drives and when I rebooted, apart from the DMA settings, both drives were set to master, which we all know makes it NOT WORK, lol.

Quiller. 19:27 05 Nov 2006

You will need burning software or else it is just a dvd rom player.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?