Help - I can't get past POST

ened 16:59 11 Nov 2007

My CPU is running at 94 after switching on.

I am not sure but think that might be a bit warm!

I am using an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache on an Intel board with the supplied Heatsink.

I need to know if this is likely to be causing my inability to start up and what I can do about it.

This is a new build which I have been working on all weekend and initially it started okay. This has only happened since I tried to install Windows.

helen_312 17:09 11 Nov 2007

How have you determined that the cpu is running at 94.

By the way is that Centigrade or Fahrenheit.

If it is Fahrenheit then that temp is fine.

If it is Centigrade then you could kill the chip.

when you installed it, did you put thermal compound between the cpu and the heatsink?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 11 Nov 2007

Yes too warm

fan running?

thermal paste or pad fitted?

Probabilitydrive 17:13 11 Nov 2007

Cooler clip securely fastened on the mobo?

A few weeks ago I replace an Intel stock cooler and one of the clips of the new cooler was not securely fastened. The system shut down after a 1 minute....

ened 17:17 11 Nov 2007

I only have one monitor etc so I have to switch base units and I didn't notice whether it was Centigrade or Fahrenheit.

The fan is running and thermal paste comes already applied with the cooler. I know it is present because I had a job to fix the cooler down and when I lifted it up I saw the paste, which had spread.

The thing is what can I do and is this temperature likely to be the cause of my POST problems?

helen_312 17:22 11 Nov 2007

If the temperature reading is 94 centigrade. then this will be your post problem and the computer will automatically shut down to stop damage.

It will also stop windows from loading as it will probably be giving errors.

Either check the temp, was it via the bios? or see if you can touch the side of the chip, under the heatsink. How hot is it.

94 centigrade will burn your fingers, 94 fahrenheit will be quite warm.

ened 17:25 11 Nov 2007

I had checked this, but after reading your post I rechecked and one of them was loose.

Fiddly little things.

Is there a technique for getting them down because I refixed the loose one and another came up?

ened 17:52 11 Nov 2007

I can't believe this is as difficult as I am finding it.

I cannot get these last two pins to stay down.

Is there a rechnique - presumably they will go eventually.

This is an extremely frustrated person

ened 18:13 11 Nov 2007

I have taken the whole thing back off and discovered why the last two would not go.

The are damaged.

Anybody any idea what I am supposed to do now?

I don't really want to go out and buy another cooler.

I am Spartacus 19:17 11 Nov 2007

Can you bend the bent bits of plastic back into place? I'm assuming that they're bent rather than broken. They clips do appear to be fragile.

This cooler is relatively cheap click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?