Help - how to revover a MS f word document

  Red Herring 20:32 25 Oct 2005

Please don't ask how I did this! I erased the content of a Word file and saved it. I now have an empty Word file - no surprise there then! Does anybody know how I can recover to the previous version (same file name)?

I running Word 2000 under Win 98SE.

Many thanks

  Jackcoms 20:35 25 Oct 2005

It's gone for ever. :-(

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 25 Oct 2005

If word is still running you may stillhave a temporary file of the old doc still available try op en and the location where the file is stored and look for the temporary file $

  Simsy 20:47 25 Oct 2005

the option to "Always make a backup copy" turned on you'll be OK...

However, I don't think it's on by default.

Tools>Options>Save and it's the tickbox at the top.

If you do have it enabled, what happens is that each time you save a document it automatically saves, in the same location, a document with the same name but a .bak extension. It is always one save "behind" the document version, and so is ideal in a sitution such as this.

Good luck,



  Monoux 20:47 25 Oct 2005

Not 100% sure but I think when you Save or Save As then all the temporary files created by Autosave are deleted

  GroupFC 21:14 25 Oct 2005

I've just been having a play around and I don't think this is the case - it seems to be as Simsy says,"... a document with the same name but a .bak extension. It is always one save "behind" the document version."

  Monoux 21:39 25 Oct 2005

Try click here for more info. I think I was getting mixed up with trying to open a saved file which shows in the article that the bak file and temp files are deleted.


  Red Herring 22:40 25 Oct 2005

....found it in the .bak state

Much appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017