HELP!!! how to network two p.c,s

wolfie3000 17:37 24 Nov 2004

I have been trying all day to network two computers today with no luck
I am a complete novice when it comes to networking.
I have got two pc,s running win xp sp2 with one with a modem and ethernet card and the other with either a modem and ethernet card or just a modem.
is there a program for novices like me so i can network the computers i want to transfer files between them.
as i said i dont have a clue about this sort of thing please help me.
i dont want to spend any more money on things like routers and stuff.

recap 17:47 24 Nov 2004

Use the network cards linked via a RJ45 crossover cable. Run the XP networking wizard (you need a floppy disc for this). Once the wizard has been run on both computers create a shared folder to enable access to both computers.

wolfie3000 17:55 24 Nov 2004

an rj45 crossover cable? is that what im using the cable im using is the same sort i use for the modem into the phone line but with the two smaller connectors on i ran the network wizard but i am still lost i would appreciate more detail is there a step by step guide anywhere on the net as i said i am a complete novice at this.

wolfie3000 18:40 24 Nov 2004

Iv had a nose around both computers and they have.
1st pc has sis900-pci fast ethernet adapter and
intel 536ep modem

the second pc has aztech mdp3858sp-w data fax modem
is there any way of networking with theys things???

Kegger 18:47 24 Nov 2004

hi you can network two PC's via a serial or parralel cable. however for a better way you will need to add a nic (network interface card) to your second PC and then use a RJ45 crossover cable. you can not connect them via modems.

easyrider 21:01 24 Nov 2004

Try here click here
or here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?