Help: How to configure for DHCP

ened 16:41 15 Feb 2008

I have been sent a Netgear wireless router which is missing the cdrom and manual.

I am trying to set it up manually but it says I must configure my computer for DHCP.

I have tried to find out how to do this but the Netgear site just says to refer to the cd!

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

howard64 16:57 15 Feb 2008

please state the model of the router

ened 17:02 15 Feb 2008

It is a Netgear DG834G v3 and my OS is Vista Ultimate.

I have found this:
click here

I cannot seem to find instructions for Vista and am wondering if it will be identical.

howard64 17:04 15 Feb 2008

I have that router and the cd for it. I have updated the firmware from the netgear site. If you need it and we can find a way I could upload the cd.

ened 17:10 15 Feb 2008

That is very kind of you howard64 but the cd is being sent to me by AOL.

I don't really want to use it because I have not yet made my mind up about whether I want the AOL software.

I am going to use it if I have to but I did want to try to install it manually.

I think I can do it but have got stuck with this business of configuring the TCP/IP.

howard64 17:17 15 Feb 2008

normally this sets itself up. Right click on network places - properties - local area connection - properties - you should find tcp/ip listed in the centre box if not add it.

ened 17:33 15 Feb 2008

That link I gave applies to XP and I tried following it with my Vista and there were apparent discrepancies.

Can somebody tell me if I need to worry about this or will the machine work with the router automatically?

The reason I want to get this right is that once I start I will be disabling my present modem and don't really want to have to revert back unless everything fails.

ened 17:40 15 Feb 2008

I have found this on the Microsoft site:
For Windows Vista
1. On the desktop, right-click Network, and then click Properties.
2. Under Tasks, click Manage network connections.
3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties
4. In the This connection uses the following items list, double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.
5. Click Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server, and then click OK three times.

Is that what I am looking for?

rdave13 18:07 15 Feb 2008

To be honest with you, AOL has some quirks. You'll need a different screen name for the router otherwise you might have some connection dropouts. To set-up new screen names you'll have to install their software to begin with. When I changed to the Netgear router I already had different screen names so set-up was straight foreward. Setting it up on Vista is something I haven't done yet. The disc should come with a set-up booklet so I'd have a read first to see what needs to be done. Once you have all the screen names (up to six) and the router set up then you can always uninstall AOL VR.

ened 18:24 15 Feb 2008

The outside of the Router box lists the contents one of which was supposed to be the CDRom and manual.

When I telephoned an Indian chap said he would send the software and I didn't need the manual anyway.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by needing a different screen name.

So far I have set up a connection manuallly with my old Speedtouch modem using the screenname and password AOL gave me.

Tomorrow I want to try and set up the router and any advice anybody could give to me is greatly appreciated.

Are there any potential problems for instance?

Are the instructions I posted in my 17:40 post going to configure the machine properly?

ened 18:42 15 Feb 2008

I have to sign off now.

If anyone can help either with advice or links I will be very grateful.

Back tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?