help help help plz

stephen1978 10:15 10 Mar 2009

morning guys

my mother-in-laws pc went dowm last nite and i could'nt get it bk on so this mnorning i tryed the recovery system and and it came up the windows could not update the registry and had to shut down i was going to do a full restore but is there any way i can get my music file and stuff before i restore the pc ????

windows will not load at all

iqs 10:28 10 Mar 2009

Did you try a repair install...If you did and it didn't work,you could remove the HDD and connect as a slave into a second PC.
If the partition table is intact,you should be able to view/save the folders.

Is the HDD SATA or IDE

Another option is to use a live CD of Linux.

birdface 10:28 10 Mar 2009

Have you tried in safe mode.
You could always try a system repair but you would need the XP disc.

iqs 10:29 10 Mar 2009

forgot,
Is the HDD SATA or IDE,you could buy a SATA dock or a caddy to convert the HDD into an external HD

stephen1978 12:47 10 Mar 2009

if i use a live disk with linux will i be able to veiw and save the files that way ??

stephen1978 12:51 10 Mar 2009

oh and where can i get a copy of linux live ???

stephen1978 13:15 10 Mar 2009

would a ubuntu live cd work at all ???

ened 14:38 10 Mar 2009

Have you another pc?

The most straightforward way to do this would be to follow iqs advice and remove the HDD, put it in another computer (as a slave if it is ide)and get your data off it that way.

If it is sata you might need to go into the bios to tell the second machine not to try top boot from it.

iqs 15:02 10 Mar 2009

Using any live version of Linux,will allow you to view the files on the HDD if they can be accessed.

Just connect your USB flash drive before running the live CD.

If you are unsure,do as I suggested and ened agrees, by connecting the HDD as a slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?