Help , Help , Help

bazrob 20:45 29 Mar 2009

Wondering if someone could help me , as I don't know what to do.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 hich is about 6 years old. We have been hit by a virus as we hadn't updated Norton (yes our own fault). Anyway we were advised to download avast, but somehow ended up with Stopzilla. We then couldn't access the internet and the diagnositic was saying it was due to the fire wall. I therefore deinstalled stopzilla and now can't even load windows other than in safe mode.

I therefore think I have 2 options

Repair it - Can it be done, is it worth it on a computer this old ?

Replace it - with a budget £5-600 what is the best I could get. Useage is mainly internet and general PC work. Occasional games. Would need quite a large memory. I've been looking at the Arbico 8595. But note it has gone up to £609 from the £499 specified in its review on this site. It is worth it or should I stick with the Dell Inspirion with a 21.5, screen at £529 ?

Any help much appreciated

bazrob 20:49 29 Mar 2009

Oh forgot to ad also play alot of music on it so not sure if I need external speakers , better soundcard. As you can tell i'm a bit of a novice !!!

brundle 21:40 29 Mar 2009

Did you get rid of Norton before installing anything else? Use the removal tool if not, or to clear out any remnants. click here

Download free software from this well known and trusted site; click here

Read this informative thread; click here

bazrob 22:12 29 Mar 2009

Thanks brundle

No I didn't clear Norton, but now have.

Am still getting a diagnostic when I try to connect to the internet saying Windows cannot connect due to firewall settings ? Any idea ?

Also do you think I would notice a big difference in system if I was to upgrade as above. Would the Arbico 8465 be another possibility ?
Thanks

birdface 13:12 30 Mar 2009

Can you do a system restore to a time before you had the problems.

VOT Productions 18:23 07 Apr 2009

Get rid of that firewall and use Windows's instead
Get a system restore

Talking about repairing it?Buy new a PC!The cost of repairing it will be same as buying anew PC

tullie 18:48 07 Apr 2009

Do not rely on the Windows firewall if you are using XP.

emily3543 12:24 10 Apr 2009

try to take back up of your computer remove norton antovirus from norton removal tool then try to scan your computer with malwarebyte and smitfraudfix

bobbybowls 18:25 12 Apr 2009

do you have a windows disk? if so save all your documents, photo's etc to a cd/dvd or usb drive. go to this site click here and download the security programs you need and save them to a cd/dvd. download any drivers you need from the manufacturers web sites, and save them to cd/dvd. disconnect from the internet. put windows disk in and reinstall windows, overwriting the present copy of windows. install the drivers for your hardware, install the security programs you burned to dvd. then reconnect to the internet and install all of windows updates and update your security programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone