help with hard drive

Lee12 01:35 27 Dec 2007

Hi, I have a Gateway PC, the Motherboard is dead, but I have important applications and data that is on the HDD. I have a custom made PC so I replaced it with the one that was on the custom made. I know that the Gateway HDD is an OEM; after I installed it and booted up the computer, I got a dialog box stating that I have to have an Activation Product key number and that I have to call Microsoft the get it, which will cost me $189
So my question is; is there another way that I can load the applications on to another drive, new drive.
I just need my applications and data.

lotvic 01:59 27 Dec 2007

did you try using the product key that is on the COA sticker on Tower casing?

You cannot load applications(installed programs) to another drive without either the CD's or the .exe for each program.
They have to be installed via their .exe as they make changes to the registry to allow them to work

Data documents can just be copied and transferred to new drive

lotvic 02:10 27 Dec 2007

please read Michael Stevens Tech click here information on change of motherboard for OEM XP

Lee12 05:23 27 Dec 2007

lotvix, what did you mean by (You cannot load applications (installed programs) to another drive without either the CD's or the .exe for each program.
They have to be installed via their .exe as they make changes to the registry to allow them to work)
Do you mean the OS CD? What if the OS was manually loaded, can I just install the original OS, will that over ride the Activation
And thanks for the Website info; I will look into it in the morning. Have to go to work now.
Thanks
lee64

Jim_F 10:21 27 Dec 2007

I think the issue that lotvic is describing is that most applications are installed into Windows with large numbers of system files and associated registry entries. To get programs into a different instance of Windows it is almost always necessary to install from scratch.

If you don't have the install disks for your applications the only solution I can think of is to do a repair install over the top of the existing version with a non-OEM copy of XP that you can activate.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 27 Dec 2007

I have a custom made PC so I replaced it with the one that was on the custom made.

Put the original HDD back in the custom made PC, connect your HDD from the failed PC as a SLAVE (reset the jumpers)

Enter the BIOS and check the slave HDD is found.

reboot to windows and you should see the old HDD in My Computer and then can copy the data photos etc, from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017