Help with Graphics Card

Shutt1e 19:08 09 Feb 2008

hi , i currently have a Nvidia Gforce4 MX 420 , and i do not think it is functioning properley , for example when i go to play Counter strike, which only requires 16mb gfx cards, it wont let me use my graphics card instead making me go into software mode (what ever that is ) .Also i do not beleive that i have directx 9.0c ,is there anyway i can see if my graphics card is functioning properley ?

Thanks for your time

exodus 19:32 09 Feb 2008

Hi, press Start/Run and type in
dxdiag
Click OK.

This will now open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window. On the System tab, near to the bottom, will show the current version in use.

Apart from problems with Counter Strike, what other indications are there that prompts you to think your graphics card is not functioning correctly?

exo

citadel 19:33 09 Feb 2008

click start, run type dxdiag when it starts click on system for info then test 3d from the tabs.

citadel 19:34 09 Feb 2008

should have been display not 3d

Shutt1e 19:38 09 Feb 2008

other indications that made me think it wasnt working was when i run games, sometimes it would say , direct x 9.0c not installed, but it seems to be working fine since i done the checks and something else.
Thank you for all the help, much appreciated

exodus 19:53 09 Feb 2008

Hi, the MX420 was a bit of a budget card for gaming.
Check games requirements for graphics cards and ensure yours is near to the top end of the specifications required.

Check that you are using the latest drivers.

For the latest DirectX click here

exo

Shutt1e 10:15 10 Feb 2008

oh yes , i know that it is a budget graphics card, but Counter strike needs very little to run , 16mb graphics card , 128mb ram, so it should be able to run it , i am looking for a basic graphics card ,maybe 128mb, or 256mb, anyone no some good ones, for just basic games, no high end gamin ?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?