Help with getting new memory.

birdface 10:34 19 Dec 2008

Hi.I have an old computer 5-6years old with only 512mb memory.Now crucial says I can upgrade to 2Gb memory.As crucial are a bit expensive compared to some others I am looking for the cheapest upgrade as computer is not really worth spending any money on.Basically I am not sure what I am looking for so need a little help.This from slot 1. Property Value
Device Locator Slot 1
Manufacturer Micron Technology
Part Number 8VDDT3264AG-265CA
Serial Number 220B4F68
Capacity 256 MBytes
Memory Type SDRAM DDR
Speed PC2100 (133 MHz)
Data Width 64 bits
Voltage SSTL 2.5V
Error Correction None
Refresh Reduced (.5x)...7.8 µs
Manufacturing Date 2003, Week 19
EPP SPD Support No
Can anyone suggest what memory I need and maybe where to get it.Crucial want £60 and computer is not worth that.I know nothing about the inside of computers except giving it the odd clean out so any help welcome.

johndrew 10:43 19 Dec 2008

Buying cheap memory is often a false economy as if it fails you will need to replace it at a further cost. You say the PC isn`t worth £60 (the price of the memory) to you yet you are willing to put money into it. The PC must have a value to you, if it is not worth spending £60 for good memory, then why spend money at all?

Crucial guarantee their memory for life as do one or two others. Perhaps you should use the Crucial memory tool (it will tell you both the amount and type of memory you can fit) click here and then you can judge how much you may save by looking for a cheaper source. Once again I would add the rider about cheap memory.

chub_tor 10:55 19 Dec 2008

I can see where you are coming from and old style (non DDR2) memory is expensive so why not go the whole hog and for £92 buy one of these deals click here from Novatech. Use your existing case, hard drive, CD, Floppy etc. You will learn a great deal about PCs by doing it yourself and people on this forum will guide you through the process of getting it to work.

keef66 10:57 19 Dec 2008

It's a sad fact of life that the older the pc gets, the more expensive it becomes to upgrade the memory because it isn't being manufactured in high volumes any more.

Our 6 year old pc came with 512mb cheapo no-name Chinese ram which lasted 18 months. Replaced it with 1gb Crucial ram and it hasn't missed a beat since.

If your pc is 6 years old, it probably wouldn't benefit from more than 1gb ram anyway (are you running Win XP?)
I'd strongly recommend you buy it from Crucial though.

bjh 10:58 19 Dec 2008

About to pm you.... Merry Christmas !

bjh 11:13 19 Dec 2008

Well, I've PM'd you but am less certain it's what you want... If it is, it's yours..

... so anyone else got a cupboard or drawer to look in?

birdface 11:27 19 Dec 2008

Sorry for the late reply .I had some visitors and they have just left.So will have a look at your posts and get back to you.Thanks.

birdface 11:41 19 Dec 2008

Sorry I should have said that I am using Windows XP Home Edition.There are only 2 slots each with 256Mb.I did try crucial about 6 months ago and it said I could upgrade to 2x1Gb of memory but they did not say what sort that I needed.Computer has a bit of sentimental value,it was my first computer and I know how it works to a certain degree.Not sure about a new motherboard as I would then probably need a new PSU etc As computers are rather cheap to buy now I cannot see the point in spending a lot of money on something that should not last much longer.Apart from a couple of reformats I have had no problems with it.So I would like to keep it as long as possible but at the moment it is very slow and apart from security programs there is not a lot on it .No videos.music or photos on it.I will try crucial again but I am sure that they do not tell you what exact memory to use.

keef66 12:13 19 Dec 2008

Your pc sounds exactly like ours. Same dilemma.

With Win XP you'll only really benefit from going up to 1Gb. Ours orig had 2 x 256Mb and It now has 2 x 512Mb. Made quite a bit of difference.

(Unless of course the 2 x 1Gb is nearly as cheap)

You're right about the unforseen costs of replacing with a mobo bundle. Todays mobos all have 24 pin power and few or no IDE connectors so you could end up having to buy a new psu and replace some of your HDDs and optical drives. And if your copy of XP is OEM you may end up having to replace that too.

birdface 12:32 19 Dec 2008

Ok latest information.I tried crucial again and it still recommended the 2Gb memory,The good part is that the price has dropped from almost £60 to £45.98.I can't see me getting it much cheaper than that so I have now ordered it.I will probably need a new PSU next as this one has been well used in the last 6 years but will wait and see how it reacts to the new memory.Once again Many thanks to everyone.

keef66 13:58 19 Dec 2008

I replaced the suspiciously light, unbranded psu that came in our pc with a reassuringly heavy Antec, but I'm starting to think that it may be on the way out so I'm about to put the original back in!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?