Help to get a website re-active

roygbiv 16:47 24 Sep 2007

I want to volunteer, to help out someone, who has a website.

It has been working, for a number of years, until "a helping hand" from a "Hacker" which stopped it completley.

I have some knowledge (and help from PCA) and would like to get things going, if possible.
Apparently, the person who set it up orginally is NO longer available.

Any advice..PLEASE...Alan

silverous 16:50 24 Sep 2007

Need some more information.
A website could be considered to be 2 things...a domain name (e.g. click here) and the hosting where the web pages/programmes are stored. Are either of those still available to the person you are helping ? What happens when you go to the site ?

silverous 16:50 24 Sep 2007

Damn - ignore the "click here" - I was trying to put w w w . w h a t e v e r . c o m

roygbiv 16:53 24 Sep 2007

when you go to the site it is frozen (some time ago) the pages change, when you click each item in the menu, but thats it!!

silverous 17:21 24 Sep 2007

So it is still working? Or just partially working?

What exactly do you need to do ?

You'll need the login to the hosting to do anything really.

roygbiv 17:24 24 Sep 2007

OK Thanks

I will try and get this information (which might be a problem) and go from there... Alan

silverous 17:39 24 Sep 2007

The person whose site it is should have them. You should also be able to find out where the site is hosted by looking at DNS information, then contact them on behalf of the person but they will probably only deal with the person that is paying for the hosting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?