help from fruit bat please

casper69 08:17 18 Sep 2010

hi

my last post was regarding my pc not starting up properly and you said to get the windows disc to repair it.

i went through the steps but the repair function doesent come up and it says "the partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted or formatted with an incompatible file system"

it says it can format my hd only and all my data will be lost, is there anyway to save my files on the hd at all or have i lost it all and need to reformat.

sorry to be a pain

cheers

Terry Brown 08:30 18 Sep 2010

Hi

If you can put the Harddrive into another machine as a slave, you may be able to recover the files, before you format it.

You could also try a recovery program like 'Recuver' and recover the files to another hard drive (usb drive) on your machine.

I know I'm mot fruit bat, but it may help
Terry

casper69 08:34 18 Sep 2010

hi Terry

thanks for the advice (this was aimed for anyone but fruit bat knew my prev problem well lol )

i'll need to get to a mates house to use there pc to try my hd as a slave, so this may be some time before i come back

cheers

Terry Brown 10:04 18 Sep 2010

You may like to try this
click here

It is a disk recovery program that runs from a CD.

Terry

casper69 09:36 04 Oct 2010

hi guys

to advise, i have manage to sort out the problem now. i had to reformat the hard drive but before i did i bought a usb connector that plugs in to an internal hard drive (got it from maplin £20) all the files were still there and transfered them all to an external hard drive and then went into reinstalling windows xp and formating the hard drive. the pc works fine just now need a new virus scanner and then transfer the files over.

cheers for all the help guys

woodchip 09:46 04 Oct 2010

When you start the Computer with the System CD not Restore CD it should say that you can run Setup, you then press on this it will look for any Operating System on the Drive Click on what it finds to Select it then Press R to repair it. This should leave all your files where they are.

You can only do a Repair using the Same Operating System CD as what is Loaded if you have XP Home you then need a XP Home CD not a XP Pro

woodchip 09:55 04 Oct 2010

Just looked at your other thread, Why are you on about saving your files? as it says you got them off to another External Drive

casper69 09:26 06 Oct 2010

hi woodchip

yeah i didnt know how to save the files because i couldnt access the internal hard drive but then saw the connector to hook it up by usb and it worked.

woodchip 11:54 06 Oct 2010

So if you got your files off, all you need do is clear the hard drive and then rerun XP setup

casper69 08:54 11 Oct 2010

yep thats it, i didnt want to go down that route and the repair option is more easy but when it couldnt be done this was the only option

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?