Help Formatting!

Anniemol 16:38 05 Jan 2004

I have two hard drives, one has become corrupted and the other full of rubbish......
As it's the New Year I've decided to have a good old clean out.....so I want to format both drives! I've backed up my files / folders and any important stuff but I can't remember (did a format a couple of years ago) the correct prceedure using Windows XP Pro....can't remember what key I have to hit in start up to start the whole thing running....can someone help?

An easy way to clear your disks is to use AEFDISK
download from click here and select download. Read the instructions on what to do next.
You will need a bootable floppy to put it on

Gongoozler 16:56 05 Jan 2004

See if this site is any help click here

Terrahawk 17:00 05 Jan 2004

to format xp pro set your cd rom to first bootable device you just need to use instalation disk follow instructions to set up it will give you an option to format

alcudia 17:00 05 Jan 2004

To format your drive for XP Pro.

Make sure that the first boot drive is the CD-Rom. Insert your XP CD and restart. You should see briefly at the bottom of the screen the command Press any key to boot from CD. Hit the spacebar. The Windows setup screen will appear on a blue background and you will see files loading at the bottom of the screen. Allow this to run until complete. When prompted press enter to Set up XP. Press F8 to accept agreement. Press Esc to install a fresh copy of Windows as per the prompt. From the options at the bottom of screen press D to delete the partition and return to confirm, then press L to complete the deletion. At the next screen press C to create a new partition. Accept the default size. Press enter to continue setup. If asked choose a file system, Fat32 or NTFS. You drive will be reformatted and some files will be copied. Set up will initialize and the computer will restart. Ignore any further prompts to boot from CD. XP will install. During installation you will be asked for regional and keyboard settings etc. Make sure you answer correctly. When complete PC will restart. Again ignore prompt to boot from CD. When running remove CD. All done. Activate It. Good luck.

Anniemol 19:13 08 Jan 2004

Many thanks to everyone, esspecially alcudia, everything went well and I've nearly installed all my software back on......I do feel better for clearing out the old rubbish on my PC!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?