Help fixing laptop keyboard

geewis357 21:53 13 Sep 2006

This will make some folk laugh, last night the unthinkable happened and a glass of whiskey got spilt on my Acer Travelmate 2700. I imidiatley switched the pc off and let it dry out over night, the think boots up as far as the ctrl alt and dell but then I get no responce from the keyboard. I know the pc will boot as I am running remote desktop through it as I am now and everithing seems to run ok. the question is how to strip it down ?

Diodorus Siculus 21:56 13 Sep 2006

Try plugging in an external keyboard and see how it goes.

I know it's not what you ask, but it will give you a chance to check everything.

woodchip 21:59 13 Sep 2006

The keys will pri of if you take care. It will all be a sticky mess under

geewis357 22:00 13 Sep 2006

Thanks Diodorus Siculus I have thought of that and I will be aquiring a usb keyboard tomorrow and give that a try.

geewis357 22:14 13 Sep 2006

A thought did occour to me when the spill happened and I initionaly moped up the mess, could I have accidently entered a combination of keys that lock the keyboard ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:52 13 Sep 2006
  Woolwell 23:01 13 Sep 2006

Is your Acer covered by warranty or insurance? We had a laptop that got drunk on wine accidently spilt on it and the cure was a replacement keyboard under warranty.

geewis357 23:04 13 Sep 2006

Yes Woolwell the waranty doesn't run out till christmas, but I thought that it would not be covered for liquid damage.

EARLR 23:07 13 Sep 2006

I had something similar happen to my Targa (lidl) lappy (only with coke) they repaired it (new motherboard)NO Charge.
good luck

geewis357 23:13 13 Sep 2006

I can but give it a try Earler, but I think I will give the USB keyboard a try first as I will be spending next week on holiday in Scotland and would love to have an internet conection with me.

BT 08:10 14 Sep 2006

Try it on your warranty. My wife dropped ICE CREAM in her lappy keyboard, and you can't pour that out like you can whisky. The computer was bought from PC World and they replaced the keyboard under warrenty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?