Help for first timer please!

hargranules 10:09 03 Jul 2006

Hi, I am creating my own website using publisher and then i plan to upload to my webspace using something like cute. ftp Is this going to work?????

Also I am looking at webspace for a friend I have suggested heartinternet as I am using. Trying to decide between packages.

It is for a small business which is probably going to want a max of about 6 pages including some photos. Trying to decided between package starter & home package. 2,500 mb or 10,000 mb webspace and data transfer of 10,000 mb compared to 50,000 (what does this mean???) also database feature MySQL5 what is this????

Any advice would be much appreciated

mco 12:49 03 Jul 2006

Just to say - Publisher is not considered very good for making websites; perhaps you should find another program - SerifWeb works in a similar way to publisher and is free online for example.

ade.h 15:57 03 Jul 2006

That is far more webspace than you will ever need. Most of my sites have no particular limit, but the one that does - at 200MB - is a very long way from being full.

Of more importance is traffic limitations; is there a limit? And if so, will it cover your site visitors' requirements, given the content of your site. The chances are that it will in most cases.

You don't need MySQL for a brochure site, but you will need PHP support (4.2 preferred) in order to run contact forms, so look for that. MySQL is solely for database-driven sites, such as this one or e-commerce. If you might add e-commerce or interactive features, MySQL will be needed, but it is bog-standard anyway.

E-mail features are essential - multiple address, spam filter, auto-responder system and mail fowarding.

My current favourite is Web Mania, which is one of the best value packages you will ever see and is highly rated by a lot of people. click here

hargranules 17:53 03 Jul 2006

ade.h

Thanks for your advice, I brought the domain name from Heart Internet, if I went to webmania for my web hosting can I transfer the domain name.

MCO I tried to work with Serif web plus 6 and found it difficult to use which is why i am now using publisher. What is wrong with publisher???

ade.h 18:12 03 Jul 2006

Stay with Heart. I have some hosting with it and it's a very good company to deal with.

"What's wrong with Publisher?"

Where do I start? It was not designed from the ground up as a web authoring application; the ability to covert a page to HTML was created because someone thought it would be useful. It produces very dirty code and coding standards have moved on a lot since that component of Publisher - and Word for that matter - was created. You should use Nvu, NetObjects Fusion, Frontpage 2003, Dreamweaver or the hard way (hand coding).

mco 18:18 03 Jul 2006

If you didn't like serifweb, perhaps you might like Netobjectsfusion? I note another pc mag this month is giving it away for free - so you could at least have a try, for the price of a good read.

hargranules 19:15 03 Jul 2006

Just been intouch with Heart to check the packages, i have queried traffic limitations and they said that it is either 10,00 or 50,000 mb data transfer per month depending on which package i choose. For a small business website I would imagine either of these would be enough. Is that right????

ade.h 20:34 03 Jul 2006

Yes, plenty for a brochure site.

Forum Editor 21:02 03 Jul 2006

is one of the best web hosts I've ever dealt with - if not the best. I should confess right away that I am a Heart reseller, so I would say they're good, but I mean it. I've dealt with many hosting companies over the years, but now host almost all my client sites with Heart. I keep a few sites with another company for old times'sake because I have been with them virtually since they started, and I know the Managing director personally click here.

If you stay with Heart I'm sure you'll be fine, and if you're not, just let me know.

What's wrong with Publisher? Absolutely nothing if you want to do DTP work - it's a great program, and I use it extensively for that, but it's pretty hopeless when it comes to web sites, as ade.h has already said.

My advice is in line with the others - go for NetObjects Fusion or Microsoft FrontPage; both of them are superb, and not as difficult to learn as some people would have you believe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?