Help with finding a new computer?

stroudgreen 09:42 08 Dec 2007

Hi, I've been using a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop for getting on to 3 years now and it's on it's last legs. I'm thinking of buying a new computer, but this time a desktop as I'd like to be able to play games. I've seen what looks like a good deal on MESH: click here

...But I've seen a fair amount of negative feedback on these pages concerning the company. Is it worth investigating CUBE247 as well?

Thanks!

MAJ 10:26 08 Dec 2007

Hell, I just love MESH computers, I love looking at them that is, but I don't trust them (the computers, not the company). I've seen too many late delivery, problem, things not working, threads to direct my money their way. Maybe if they had a local outlet round my way, things would be different, but they don't. Davey (from Mesh) on the Comsumerwatch forum does his best to remedy any problems that do arise and he succeeds. I'll stick with my HP Compaqs bought from local outlets, they have never let me down.

But that is a nicely specced PC you linked to, stroudgreen. Sorry can't advise you on how good it would be at games, I'm a devout non-gamer.

Ex plorer 10:40 08 Dec 2007

Hi I bought two PCs from cube I had a problem with the monitor in the first week, after a phone call to cube and one other to the monitor distributor it was replaced next day, that was five years ago.
On that basis I can recommend them, Cube will tell you what you need for gaming give them a ring or email them.

The Belarussian Mafia 13:11 08 Dec 2007

This little chappie might be OK for a bit of gaming (NVidia 8600 128Mb card) click here

£529 delivered seems reasonable - includes 2Mb RAM. Prices are always good on ebuyer too click here

Starfox 14:01 08 Dec 2007

These guys seem to be highly thought of in the forums.click here

Interesting thread at click here

nyleridedog 14:07 08 Dec 2007

i got a pc from mesh! they delivered on time! nothing has broken in 12 months! i always recommend them to people! great machine!

ive heard bad stories of the repair company that they employ if your pc breaks!

but yer know fingers crossed and you shold be alright!

good luck

stroudgreen 18:09 08 Dec 2007

excellent, thanks very much guys for the feedback. I'll be checking all of those links out over the next few minutes (hours more like). Cheers again!

Totally-braindead 18:14 08 Dec 2007

Novatech is my choice click here best customer service bar none. Note that the prices are without monitors you have to add one on whatever you choose.

shellship 19:06 08 Dec 2007

As a result of all the comments here I have just ordered a desktop from Cougar. Helpful chappies on the phone too. This spec:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz 4Mb Cache, 2Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 2x1Gb, 500GB SATA Hard Drive, , Impress Case , , 256Mb ATI HD 2400PRO graphics card DX10, QC - Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2 1333fsb-DDR800x4 integrated motherboard, 2 x Samsung DVD +/- Re-writer, No Floppy Disk Drive, No Monitor, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Inc SP2, No Additional Software, , 13 Month Warranty, Free Carriage”
Cost £457.

stroudgreen 20:41 08 Dec 2007

I've had a nose through the websites that have been suggested, they all look pretty tempting to be honest! I would say I'm leaning more toward MESH with regards to pricing, but the comments about customer support don't bode well! I'll keep mooching around. Thanks again for your input everyone!

Totally-braindead 21:49 08 Dec 2007

At the end of the day you get what you pay for. Buy the cheapest and you might regret it. Novatech are very good and Cougar seems to be getting a lot of good things said about them recently.
I've not bought a PC from Cougar, would not buy one from Mesh and have only bought from Novatech. The Novatech PCs have all been perfect and are all still running perfectly.
My present PC was built from components but only because I already had a lot of the bits required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?