HELP - FILES CORRUPTED WHEN TRANSFERED VIA USB

wancho 16:47 19 Sep 2008

Hi,
I have a Dell dimension E520 with Vista Home premium,2x 250 gb Hdd,2gb RAM and inbuit cardreader. When I first bought pc I thought my original printer was not compatible with Vista as it would not print photographs satisfactorily. I bought new HP printer problems persisted.

I have since carried out some tests and found that whenever I transfer photofiles via usb (i.e to printer, external Hdd, usb memory, or usb card reader) my files are corrupted. If I transfer photofiles, other than via usb (i.e. to/from: Hdd/Hdd, Hdd/inbuilt cardreader, Hdd/Optical drive, inbuilt cardreader/optical drive, etc)they are OK.

I have not detected a problem with text files, I guess it could be because they are smaller??

Any ideas?

woodchip 19:51 19 Sep 2008

Is you ex drives Mains powered? i.e using a mains adapter to drive them

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 19 Sep 2008

Uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers.

wancho 19:59 19 Sep 2008

Hi woodchip i use both a 3.5 ext Hdd which is mains powered and a 2.5 portable Hdd which is usb powered. makes no difference.

Fruitbat thanks i'll try this out get back to you.

woodchip 20:03 19 Sep 2008

If the drives are shifting files I don't think its going to make no difference USB are re-enabled. If you have more that one stick of Ram try with just One Stick try each in turn as one of your Ram sticks may be faulty

woodchip 20:11 19 Sep 2008

Have you tried other USB sockets like back ones if you are plugged into front ones

wancho 20:17 19 Sep 2008

Yes i have 6 rear usb ports and 2 front ones same problem with all.

wancho 11:48 21 Sep 2008

bump

Kevscar1 13:05 21 Sep 2008

Have you tried opening them with a paint progam from the device they are on and then printng from that program. That might bypass the transfer problem

wancho 17:01 21 Sep 2008

Sure have and the problem still persists> The problem is not down to any of my usb attached peripherals (including printer and ext Hdd) I use these with my daughters' and my own laptop and they work and print just fine. As far as i can see the problem, whatever it is, is to do with my dell PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?