Help! Files all turned to ÿÿÿÿÿÿ. What happened?

corkdork 11:10 05 Oct 2004

Any ideas what has happened to my PC? Most but oddly not all of my word files have been corrupted to appear as a block of 'y's like this:
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ. Also almost all (but again not all) photos are also inaccessible. XP back up point is also inaccessible.

I use XP pro without SP2 yet. I also have updated anti virus softweare from Panda & AVG plus firwall from Zone Alarm plus anti spy and ad ware programs. So what caused this?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Baledor 11:32 05 Oct 2004

online scan with Panda, just to be sure

corkdork 09:53 07 Oct 2004

I did an online scan with panda but turned up nothing

Diemmess 10:12 07 Oct 2004

I have no idea for you - and just add memories of the dark ages in my computing experience.

Long ago using Win95 and then 98 I had trouble with SCSI because of wrong termination settings.

When the whole OS was about to collapse, which it did, time after time, the ÿ symbol was scattered about all over the place.

Might just be worth your while to look at what Windows says about your hardware devices or their controllers.

wotbus@ 10:16 07 Oct 2004

Hi corkdork; not a nice situation :-(. Have you tried an in depth system file check?
My Computor>right click drive>Properties>Tools>Error-Checking>Check Now>tick both boxes and follow restart instructions.
Hope this helps.

Graham ® 10:28 07 Oct 2004

Word file corruption help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?