Help a few question about TFT display installation

Europa 10:20 09 Aug 2006

I have bought my first LCD-TFT monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 940)and I would like a few tips to connect it properly to my PC, as the manual is very thin, and I am a bit nervous about what connect to what.
-Do I install the driver with the CD before connecting the monitor?
-Can I leave my old monitor plugged in until I am satisfied that the new monitor is working properly?
-Do I have to plug all the leads? (I mean, it is DVI or VGA enabled, I got the DVI lead in, I have another connection called RGB, I have got a lead for it, is it the VGA connection? Do I have to plug it in as well as the DVI lead?
-I run windowXP sp2, and I have 2 AOpen NVidia Aeolus GF 6600GT in SLI configuration, do I have to change any settings to allow DVI display?
I suppose I will have to play with it to have the colours the way I want it, I do not have any manuals with it explaining all that, just a couple of sheets explaining how to install the drivers (maybe the manual is on the disk? I just thought of that). I bought it from DABS and it was a "used item" (box has been open but monitor never was used), I had it for £184.
I could not find any user manual for this monitor on the internet neither.
I thank you in advance.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:37 09 Aug 2006

1) you should not need the driver disk. Just plug the monitor in and turn on.

2)Yes, you can use 2 monitors if you swap connections.

3) you can use the DVI lead but you will not notice any difference. You can use either supplied lead but not both at the same time.

4) You can change he settings after the monitor is on. personally I don't think that there will be much difference but there may be some if you are a mad gamer.

5)You ca alter the contrast etc by your graphic card options or by using the buttons on the front of the monitor.

G

Europa 10:51 09 Aug 2006

Thank you Gandalf, for your help.
I thought I read somewhere that DVI connection is better for the quality of the picture than the RGB lead, or that it offers more scope for different settings. You seems to think there is no difference.
I like my picture to be as near as possible(if it's possible)the picture I have on my mitsubishi diamontron.I will be using it for gaming and web surfing more than anything.
Which lead I should go for?

FelixTCat 11:08 09 Aug 2006

Europa,

Your graphics card operates in digital mode and has a digital to analogue converter to feed an analogue monitor, e.g. your old one.

Your new TFT monitor is digital but it has an analogue to digital converter to get a signal from the older cable.

If you use the DVI connection and cable you bypass both these converters and feed a digital output from your card to the digital input of your TFT monitor. The signal is inevitably better. You also don't have to worry about synchronising the signals.

If your graphics card has both a digital and an analogue output, you can usually run a monitor from each. Display properties allows you to set up what you want to display in each.

Regards,

Felix

DieSse 11:17 09 Aug 2006

The DVI should in theory be the best, as it passes the signal through with no digital to analogue conversion circuits. GANDALF <|:-)> is correct that moderrn monitors are often good enough that the improvement is difficult to perceive.

One thing you should do when changing to a TFT is to make sure the resolution and refresh rate are the best for your monitor.

TFTs do not benefit from fast refresh rates in the way that CRTs do - most of them recommend you set the refresh rate to 60HZ. You should do this before you change over the monitor, too high a rate may cause the TFT to give an "Out of range" message.

TFTs display the clearest picture when run at their "Native" resolution. This is where the pixels generated by the graphics card match the pixels manufactured into the TFT. For a 19" TFT (non-widescreen)the commonest resolution by far is 1280x1024. Some moniotrs are better than others at displaying other resolutions - you can experiment.

When using a TFT and WinXP, they benefit more from setting the Clear-Type oftion in the Display Properties.

Europa 11:29 09 Aug 2006

DieSse, how do you set the refresh rate?

Europa 11:46 09 Aug 2006

Done it, it was set at 60HZ.

Europa 15:58 09 Aug 2006

I have done it, the monitor is working well, I will just have to get use to it, it feels a bit strange, I am trying all the picture settings, and I seem to have difficulties finding one that I like. I suppose, after a while, I will get use to it and wonder why I was so reluctant to exchange my big monster CRT for a TFT. And the space I have gained on my desk is a definite bonus.
I have a couple more questions about the settings :
There is one monitor setting that I don't understand : it says : Display time and you have the choice between 5, 10,20 or 200sec. What is it?
And where exactly do I find the Clear-Type option, I have looked everywhere in the display properties, I can't find it.

FelixTCat 16:38 09 Aug 2006

Europa,

The display time is probably how long the menu will stay on the screen after you press the buttons.

To get clear type, go to Display Properties - Appearance - Effects, tick the "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:" button and Clear-type is one of the options.

Regards,

Felix

Europa 18:02 09 Aug 2006

Thank you FelixTCat, what a difference it makes.
And thank you, all of you, to have helped me set up my new monitor.
May you all live long and prosper.
Kind regards,
Europa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?