help with ext hard drives

yorkieman 11:54 23 Nov 2009

hi can anyone help please? i have 5 ext hard drives that i connect to my pc by usb but all of a sudden when i connect i cannot see them in my computer. if i press the reset button on the pc it reboots and then i can see them in my computer. i get the please remove device showing next to the clock ok. i used to get a window asking if i wanted to open files etc but not anymore compleatley baffled i am useing xp

jack 12:13 23 Nov 2009

Windows suddenly decides that removable drives are not there.
clicking the icon- causes something like 'put disk in drive' or not available.
The only remedy it seems is to jiggle the usb connector to see if Windoze wakes up
or a reboot.
It happens to most of us.

kidsis 14:03 23 Nov 2009

are you using the same usb socket for all of them or have you tried other sockets? Can you see each of them in Disk Manager?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 23 Nov 2009

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here

yorkieman 14:28 25 Nov 2009

hi thxs for your replies but the problem i am having is when i connect my ext hd i get the hour glass showing but my comp freezes i cannot use my mouse nothing works so i have to manually switch my comp off and start in safe mode and do a system restore, i tried a pen drive and that was ok so its not the usb input on the comp. i am wondering about doing a xp repair but i am not sure about how to do it i have my xp cd it seemed straight forward till it says you have to go into the bios, i do hope someone can help me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?