Help with excel please.

jamesy74 12:12 25 Apr 2005

I made a copy of a spreadsheet but when i deleted the old text the formulas went also. Is there a way of clearing the text but keeping the formula?

Also, it had a function when you inserted the date it would generate the day of the week and that particular column would also replicate same data.

Many thanks.

Noldi 12:27 25 Apr 2005

Whn you copy then paste special with fomula or formats what you want. (Paste special with right click)
Is that what you want?
Noldi

Noldi 12:31 25 Apr 2005

Second qestion is =today() if you want you can enter -7 in the brackets to get a week before etc.
Look in formulas there is also one for now the give day hrs min sec.

Noldi 12:35 25 Apr 2005

sorry just read it again I got the wrong end of the stick, Im looking into it. VOG would be the Excel expert when he comes online.

Noldi 12:49 25 Apr 2005

Cell A1 is date (1/5/04) B1 =WEEKDAY(A1).
That will give you 1 for Sun 2 for Mon etc. Now you need a formula to convert these Nos into Monday ,Tuesday etc. But I have to get back to the grind stone will look tonight to see if any other member has solved this.
Noldi

VoG II 12:52 25 Apr 2005

=CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(A1), "Sun", "Mon", "Tue", "Wed", "Thu", "Fri", "Sat")

VoG II 13:01 25 Apr 2005

PS

To avoid accidentally deleting formulas again, protect the worksheet. Or show formula cells in a different colour.

Go to Edit/Go to/Special and select "Formulas" then click "OK". Now go to Format/Cells and select the "Patterns" tab and choose a colour.

GroupFC 13:41 25 Apr 2005

Into my postings (for VoG™'s useful tip about colour in cells with formulas).

Chris the Ancient 14:23 25 Apr 2005

Another new one for me - from the Master.

I'd never noticed that Goto... Special before.

Goodonya M8

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?