Help with Error message in XP as below please !

Giggle n' Bits 12:02 19 Oct 2003

When opening Microsoft Outlook the following error message comes up in a dialog box window with title "MS Outlook: outlook.exe-add image"

Then the error message has the following:-

The Application orr dll c:/windows/system32/winsock.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

This is using Microsoft Office in Winodws XP (My Brothers computer)

Does anyone know how to cure this.

The problem seems to have occured since a small powercut.

Any help greatly apprecieted.

hugh-265156 12:52 19 Oct 2003

you could try downloading click here and replace the one in the system32 folder.

Giggle n' Bits 13:20 19 Oct 2003

Thanks for the call, are you saying that win WinXP which his O's is that a dll file is missing/corrupt.

In Win98Se I know that typing SFC in run command could replace damage or lost Dll's but the link for the download doesn't say if it is related to WinXP.

So no disrespect, you do understand the computer is running WinXP o's and please confirm the download for that dll you point to is for XP ?

hugh-265156 13:29 19 Oct 2003

yes i have xp myself.

try sfc /scannow first

i could not find an answer on google for the exact problem so was just a suggestion sorry.

hugh-265156 13:31 19 Oct 2003

ps right click the start button/explore all users/ navigate to the windows/system32 folder,here you will find wsock32.dll in xp.

Giggle n' Bits 21:04 19 Oct 2003

I am a bit confused on what to do now. My Brother is bringing up the computer at weekend so I can see what excatly is going on.

He also tells me even though he can conncet via modem to the web but he carn't get any webpages, also the machine is running very very very slow.
Also MS Outlook giving that error message.

He also has Office 2000, Norton System works 2002 installed. Personally I think system works is overkill especially on a XP machine and its a Dell Dimension model.

I dunno if I should leave this post open unitl next weekend as I already have the ball rolling ot help my Bro out. He being in the millde of farmland nowhere down in Midlands & me in the Northern hills.

But if Huggyg71, if you could please start again as I did get a bit lost on where to start with your instruction. Sorry if you think I sound a bit of a thickie, possibly with it being lack of sleep.

the lone cloner 21:45 19 Oct 2003

look at updatexp.com there maybe help and instrrrruction there.

Giggle n' Bits 00:26 20 Oct 2003

Will do that.

hugh-265156 11:10 20 Oct 2003

Audio~Chip,i still have my L plates on when it comes to computers and my advice may not be very good.if it was me i would try some or all the following:

have a look in: click start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer and click on the application and system tabs to the left for any errors.check them using the search box click here for solutions.

try as above,pop the windows cd into the drive,click start/run and type sfc /scannow and press enter(note the space after "sfc" and before "/")this will replace any damaged or missing system files)

and/or try system restore back to when your brother knows it was working well.you can restore and unrestore as may times as you like.how far you can go back in time will depend on how much space has been allowed for system restore on the drive.

click start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore and pick a date.

try as above reinstalling wsock32.download and unzip it to your desktop then just cut and paste it into your windows/system32 folder.you should be asked if you want to replace the existing one,click yes.

try updating windows may be worth a shot too click here
you could always download the updates for him and burn to a disc if he has problem connecting,follow this guide click here (check with him to see if he has been updating the computer first though because there is quite a lot and will take some time to download)

might also be worth downloading spybot to a disk also to have a check for spyware for him which sometimes makes things run slow click here

try uninstalling norton systemworks and any software or junk he doesnt use or need via add remove programs.

jv16 powertools click here is a very easy to use registry cleaner and will remove a lot of junk that may be causing problems.i use this once a month and so far have had no problems with it.

run a disk check,cleanup and defrag.

if all the above fails to work im sure backing up any personel docs etc and reinstalling all the software again or reinstall windows would sort it.

im sure somebody will come up with an easy solution for you.bump!

Giggle n' Bits 12:01 20 Oct 2003

Will do this, you obviously have a bit more k/b in your head than me when it comes to problems with XP.

I will do this at weekend and speak to you then.

Thanks again for the imput, appreciated.

Giggle n' Bits 12:55 27 Oct 2003

Thanks huggyg71 !

My Bro couldn't make it up with his pc and took it to his company tech heads. They diagnosed it to be file corruption and said they will factory restore it. Bit of a easy and quick money earner I think to do that.

But I will keep my thread notes you send for future refference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le combat entre McGregor et Mayweather ?