Help with DVI output

I-Luv-Blu 15:22 14 Sep 2009

Hi All,

I have moved my Toshiba 32 LCD upstairs and have connected our desk top PC by coming off the DVI port via an adaptor to one of the HDMI in's, but get no image.

The PC itself is a Dell Dimendion 4600 with a Geforce FX5200 graphics card (how it came from Dell). Having looked, the display settings don't have second monitor adjustments so i assume that it's purley one set of settings for both outputs (VGA & DVI)?

Anyone know where i'm going wrong? I haven't tried disconnecting the VGA and connecting the DVI?

From what i have read on the web this card is DVI-I amd therefore both analogue and digital?

Not overly PC literate (as you can pobably tell, by the age of the PC), am from an AV background.

Can i just buy another cheap graphics card that will give me DVI/HDMI and VGA, literally plug it in and go?

The idea is that using my wirelss keyboard is that i can lay in bed and browse the web for holidays etc not even into gaming. Don't want to spend money if i can avoid it, as this is a luxury and not a must have.

Any help greatly appreciated.

howard64 17:53 14 Sep 2009

if I follow you!!! you have connected to a dvi port on the graphics card? I do not think this will drive an hdmi input to a tv only a monitor. I believe you will need to have an hdmi port on the pc to run a hdmi cable to the hdmi input of the tv.

I-Luv-Blu 10:06 15 Sep 2009

Thanks Howard64

But DVI-D & DV-I both carry digital signals, HDMI the same digital video signals, only difference is HDMI carries embedded digital audio too.

I guess this has something to do with graphics card settings more than the TV end.

I-Luv-Blu 15:03 16 Sep 2009

Bump, Anyone help?

ambra4 16:15 16 Sep 2009

DVI-I transmits both analogue and digital signals.

DVI-A transmits just a analogue signal.

DVI-D transmits just a digital signal.

All graphics cards with a DVI output can send both analogue and digital signals over the DVI connection so you will not have a problem using a DVI to HDMI converter cable.

One thing to note is that most TVs only accept HDTV resolutions in the HDMI port.

If you send a non standard resolution it will either not display it, or the screen will scale

the image to 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

I'm pretty certain your card should be capable of what you are trying to do.

Just to make sure I've got this right, you have a PC, a monitor and a TV. You want it set up so that you can chose to have the display on either the monitor, the TV or both.

First of all, I would disconnect the VGA lead from your card so that it is connected to only the TV via the DVI port. Then when you turn your computer on, it should detect this, and send the signal to the TV.

I assume you have checked your are definitely on the correct channel on the TV (they may be more than one HDMI input). Also, what resolution is your desktop set at when running on the monitor?

BRYNIT 18:34 16 Sep 2009

Have you connected the cable to the computer and TV before switching the computer on. If you connect after computer has booted into windows it will not see the Monitor/TV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone