Help with DSL router

Multi_sheep 22:34 10 Sep 2006

Hello,

I want to connect 2 PCS (one downstairs, one upstairs) and an Xbox 360 Through my DSL Router but wanted to ask some question before doing it all and finding out its not possible!

firstly, i want the router upstairs as thats where one computer and the xbox 360 is and want to know if can make a connection by using 'shared connection' from the Downstairs PC where its connected to the internet by DSL Modem, connected by USB 2.0. Then, put a ethernet cable from the nic ethernet card in the back of the downstairs PC up into the router in my room, then, split the connection between the 360 and my PC.

Is that possible?

Thankyou in advance

ade.h 22:52 10 Sep 2006

The Cable/DSL router must be whithin Ethernet cable range of the Cable modem and you should not use ICS in a routed network.

I am wondering how/why your modem is connected by USB; to my knowledge, all Cable/DSL modems use Ethernet, not least because Cable uses PPP over Ethernet, rather than the PPP over ATM that ADSL uses.

Strawballs 23:46 10 Sep 2006

My neighbour has an NTL modem that can use either USB or Ethernet. If you are going to use a cable from the machine downstairs why not have it going from the modem up to the router connect the PC and Xbox by cable and the PC downstairs by wireless if you get a DSL wireless router click here for example

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?