HELP! Drivers for Creative Sound Card?

JohnnyK_A1 11:41 12 Dec 2005

Hi Folks,
I have a fairly old 'puter with a Creative Sound Card installed. Unfortunately it keeps crashing other 3rd party music programs, I'm told because I don't have the correct drivers installed.
The Creative website won't help because the card is too old.... well outside it's warranty period.

Does anyone know the Creative Labs help or support email addy please? I'd like to tell them what I think of their lack of support.

My card has the following written on it.
SG-0088GF-12721-11D-1A14
DP/N 088GF C/O 5G
3892B848

It has a Creative chip on it with this typed on it:-
ES-1373 JL110
1373-0001-05

My O/S is Window 98SE, Processor is AMD Duron 700 Mhz, Ram=192MB.

Winamp play music just fine, but if I use other software like Guitar Pro 4, or Learn 2 Play Rock Guitar, or even my old Micropose Grand Prix FI game; they all crash after a short while playing a continuous note. Then the only way out is to reset my 'puter & let scandisk run.

If anyone out there can possible point me in the direction for downloading the right drivers, & give me the email addy for Creative Labs sound card support, I would be very grateful.

My email addy is:- [email protected]

Thank you all.
Regards,
JohnnyK

Taff™ 12:00 12 Dec 2005

click here free Registration is required but this should do the trick.

You can confirm the exact model by downloading Belarc Advisor click here and running it.

Jackcoms 12:05 12 Dec 2005

A word of advice.

Do NOT post your e-mail address on the Forum.

You may be inviting any number of strange e-mails.

If you want people to contact you by e-mail, you can 'invite' them to e-mail you via the yellow envelope.

JohnnyK_A1 13:39 12 Dec 2005

Hi Taff, Thanks for your reply. I already have Belarc Advisor (a very good program by the way & free), but unfortunately it reports the card as whatever I define it as, when I try-out & load a different driver. The same sound card has been reported as 4 different cards depending upon what driver I try out at that time.

Hi Jackcoms, Thanks for your advice. I'm new to this forum, so didn't know how it works, re: email addies.

If anyone else has some other ideas on how to solve the driver problem, then I will look forward to hearing them. Cheers chaps.

Regards,
JohnnyK

flimbo 13:47 12 Dec 2005

Have you tried the software auto-update on their support page?
click here

Stuartli 14:08 12 Dec 2005

Have you tried Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Components?

This should list your Creative sound card by name (it does with my Creative SoundBlaster Live!).

You could also try Removing the sound card from Device Manager and Rebooting.

As far as I can recall, I ditched the Creative SB Live! drivers pack for the built-in XP version when switching from 98SE to XP Pro; it does all that I require and is listed as Version 5.0.0.2001, although credited to Creative.

gudgulf 14:11 12 Dec 2005

Is the pc a Dell?

If so you have a pci 128 creative card (Dell model 088GF) and the drivers for 98se are at click here

Number 2 or number 3 in the list are what you need.

JohnnyK_A1 12:22 13 Dec 2005

Hi Folks,

The problem with the sound card has now been solved, thank to you lot. I appreciate all your helpful contributions.

I'll just reply to the last 3 suggestions:-

Flimbo: The auto-update on the Creative website didn't work on my PC. I just don't think Creative cater to support their older sound cards (anything over a mere 3-years old). Their site is most unhelpful & I guess they're deliberately so, to encourage the owner of their older cards to buy new ones from them (profit motive, as always).

Stuartli:- Uninstalling the card then reinstalling it doesn't work as Win98SE CD doesn't have the drivers for my PCI64 card.

Gudgulf:- My PC isn't a Dell, but thanks for your suggestion.

Taff:- It is your link that did the trick. Got the good driver from DriverGuide.com eventually. Now works just fine. Thank you.

JohnnyK

Stuartli 15:46 13 Dec 2005

I was thinking of XP as I use it - force of habit...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?