Help, Drive space decreasing rapidly for no reason

Fateful Shadow 13:52 21 Jun 2003

As the title says, the drive space of my hard drive has decreased dramatically for no reason.

A few days ago, I had 22GB free, and when I just checked it again, I had 17GB free. I haven't installed anything, and I am just running a complete system scan via AVG.

Any ideas why this has happened?

muppetmark 13:56 21 Jun 2003

Which OS are you using, ME or XP, it could be system restore taking up this space, but the default is usually 10% has this been altered ?

Fateful Shadow 13:59 21 Jun 2003

I have ran a full system scan and there was no virus detected.

I have also looked at system restore, but, as muppetmark said, the default is 10%.

Any more ideas?

muppetmark 14:05 21 Jun 2003

Have you run disc clean up, deleted temp files etc, what is the total h/d size ?

Fateful Shadow 14:10 21 Jun 2003

The total is 28.6 GB

I know I still have quite a bit of space left, but I can't understand why the decrease has occured.

I'll try disk cleanup.

Fateful Shadow 14:13 21 Jun 2003

Just ran Disk cleanup and....

I got rid of a whole, 4MB!

Thanks for the advice, don't take the sarcasm the wrong way!

I'll try scandisk and defrag, but these usually fail, but theres no harm in trying...

...is there?

Fateful Shadow 14:37 21 Jun 2003

I've tried to run scandisk...nothing. Then i tried to run defrag...nothing. So i decided to shut down...can you guess?

I went to Shut down, then 2 seconds after I clicked it "Shell32.dll" couldn't start, and

Fateful Shadow 14:38 21 Jun 2003

I'll continue the last post...

Shell32.dll couldn't load, so i had to hold the power button in for 5 seconds.

Restarted ok, but still no luck with defrag, scandisk, or the dissapearing Hard drive!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?