Help? Do i Need both Adware and Malware Removal Software?

london339 10:08 18 May 2015

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and IE 11 as well as Firefox. Everything is bang up to date. I am using Kaspersky Internet security 2015 and Microsoft Defender. I have just discovered some Malware in my computer! Which I have now removed using adwcleaner. Question 1. Do I need some additional Malware removal software to run alongside adwcleaner or is the one software good enough? I'm not sure if adwcleaner just picks up Adware and not other malware. Question 2. I have just discovered and downloaded Microsfts Maliscious Software Removal Tool. Is this any good. Can I run it alongside Adwcleaner. Will it do the Job or do I need something else to remove Malware? Hope you cab help. Kim.

john bunyan 10:30 18 May 2015

For free versions I suggest 3 items (use ADW Cleaner mainly for toolbar attacks after the event) NB only have one anti virus., but these anti malware work well

I would not bother with Windows Defender.

1. Spywareblaster (Deters malware) Filehippo 1

2. Malawarebytes (MBAM)( the Premium version can be got for as little as £10 - lifetime) but this is the free one : Filehippo 2

3. Occasionally, ad aware tracking cookies are missed by the others so also have Superantispyware (SAS): Filehippo 3

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 18 May 2015

Defender + Microsfts Maliscious Software Removal Tool are little more than useless

Good advice from JB above

ADWCleaner is good for detecting and removing the addons and PUPs (potentionally unwanted programs) that come prepackage with a lot of downloads.

london339 15:59 18 May 2015

Hi Guys Thanks for the replies. You Confirm my thoughts. I will now checkout some Malware. With regards Acronis. I did have that a couple of years ago and for me it was the worst software I have ever bought! I Now back up with Ghost and I keep things real simple. Regard this Thread as now ended from my point of view. Cheers. Kim.

john bunyan 17:49 18 May 2015

I have moved on to (free) Macrium Reflect for imaging and cloning one PC but still have ATI on another. I thought Norton Ghost was a paid for item these days - no problem but I use freebies if they work ok!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?