HELP! Do i have a Trojan on my computer?

skell 17:29 21 Feb 2006

Hello,

Ill try and keep this as short as possible..

I have Norton internet security and Norton anti virus, also AVG and Ad-aware spyware checker installed on my computer.

Norton detected and denied access by the 'Downloader.Trojan' from accessing my computer, however, it also said it was unable to repair.

The following is the report Norton showed...

Category: Virus alerts
Date: 20/02/2006 16:12:38,
Feature: Auto-Protect,
Virus Name: Downloader.Trojan,
Action Taken: Access denied,
Item Type: File,
Target: N/A,
Suspicious Action: N/A,
User Name: Skell,
Computer Name: STEVE,
Details: Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NF1V7H8W\zl[1].anr

Date: 20/02/2006 16:12:38,
Feature: Auto-Protect,
Virus Name: Downloader.Trojan,
Action Taken: Repair failed,
Item Type: File,
Target: N/A,
Suspicious Action: N/A,
User Name: Skell,
Computer Name: STEVE,
Details: Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NF1V7H8W\zl[1].anr

Ive done a complete system scan (in safe mode) yet Norton did not detected the Trojan or any other virus on my computer. I also ran the AVG and Ad-aware checker with the same result. I also used the Kaspersky virus checker and that also found no infections.

I need some advise please as to whether or not my computer is infected. Im really concerned about this because Norton detected an intusion yet it cannot get rid of it or even suggests its there now.

Any advice would be appreciated

mant thanks

Skell.

VoG II 17:37 21 Feb 2006

You should only have one anti-virus program - you need to uninstall either Norton or AVG.

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

skell 17:53 21 Feb 2006

I have Norton 2006 since xmas but have not installed it yet...shall i uninstall my existing Norton 2003 download the Ewido Anti-Malware trial version and do as you have said then uninstall AVG and install my new Norton 2006 afterward.?

ive heard bad things about Norton 2006 thats why i havent installed it yet. but thats not the issue at present.

Thanks.

VoG II 17:56 21 Feb 2006

I suggest that you run the Ewido scan first and see if it finds anything.

skell 17:57 21 Feb 2006

ok, downloaded... gonna install and scan now ;)

skell 18:35 21 Feb 2006

the scan finished showing results as follows..

C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup

C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup

C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Com : Cleaned with backup

C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Cookies\[email protected]kzs[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Clickzs : Cleaned with backup

C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Cookies\[email protected]niture[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Esomniture : Cleaned with backup

C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Cookies\[email protected]erstats[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Masterstats : Cleaned with backup

C:\Documents and Settings\Skell\Cookies\[email protected]tadserver[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Smartadserver : Cleaned with backup

Dont know if that helps but i cant see anything that suggests i have a Trojan...

im worried now..why does Norton say it was unable to fix it..and when i scan again it finds nothing.

skell 18:45 21 Feb 2006

oh no i shouldnt have done that ive posted the reprot and it has the bleeding links ...

can pc advisor remove them?

VoG II 18:58 21 Feb 2006

You don't have a trojan.

skell 19:48 21 Feb 2006

Thankyou very much for your help VoG..i trust what you say coz you're one i have always seen here help many people with good advise.

Thanks again ;)

ill keep norton 2003 i think, although, AVG looks very good and works well but cant waist good money.

skell

skell 19:48 21 Feb 2006

Thankyou very much for your help VoG..i trust what you say coz you're one i have always seen here help many people with good advise.

Thanks again ;)

ill keep norton 2003 i think, although, AVG looks very good and works well but cant waist good money.

skell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017