help with dial up problems & downloads

boo_hiss_boo 22:51 07 Sep 2004

Hi guys
I have just been to my sisters house where she has been having really bad problems with ultra slow (or not at all) connection with her tiscali dial up connection. I have been trying to update all of the different anti virus & spyware that I have been advised of myself from here. However, although I have managed to download spybot S&D and Ad Aware SE, the updates keep failing and errors occurring. I pointed her to panda scan last weekend which she managed evertually to do and this did clean some viruses but no improvement to the connection.

I have suggested to her that I bring the base unit to my house and use my broadband connection to download all of the software I have advised her to install, run the updates and the checks and then hopefully send it back to her with everything installed and up to date. (and virus /spyware free!)

Can anyone think of any reasons why I could not do this, I dont want to add to her problems....

Thanks
Boo

VoG II 22:58 07 Sep 2004

Sounds good to me.

Except that if there is crud on the PC that is stopping anti-whatever programs running then you won't be able to run them either. There are ways around this so post back when/if you hit problems.

I'll bet she has been downloading "music" - that wasn't.

boo_hiss_boo 23:08 07 Sep 2004

Vog

I think her 16 year old daughter probably has ! :o|

I will no doubt do this at the weekend so I will close this thread (just needed to check there weren't gonna be more problems with me connecting her pc to my connection etc) and repost a new one with the correct title if I hit snags!

Thanks

Boo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?