help diagnosing problem

reddwarfcrew 11:03 17 Dec 2008

Hi,

my pc has recently developed an intermitent problem.

When switching on, sometimes i get no picture whats-so-ever (no POST boot up info or anything). The PC does still boot into windows (I know this because messenger shows that i have signed in on my laptop).

I have tried another monitor and the same problem and i have tried another graphics card and again same problem.

The problem is happening almost daily, but sometimes it will send the picture to the monitor fine.

So it's not Windows as I don't even get the POST boot up menu, it's not the graphics card and it's not the monitor.... so what else could it be?

Thanks for any advice.

MAJ 11:10 17 Dec 2008

It could be a problem with the AGP/graphics card slot on your motherboard. As you have tried replacing the card I'll assume it's not a loose connection to that slot, although you could try giving the slot a clean, just in case. If your motherboard also has on-board graphics, remove the standalone card and use the on-board graphics instead, see if it cures the problem.

MAJ 11:12 17 Dec 2008

.... a faulty monitor cable.

reddwarfcrew 11:17 17 Dec 2008

thanks,

yep should have mentioned that we have also tried another cable.

The 'existing' g-card was quite a big weighty agp card so i can only think that over time this has slightly pulled on the AGP slot and widened it to create a loose connection.... but doubtful surely.

No on-board graphics unfortunately so i can't try that.

It is sounding an expensive mobo replacement which also means new graphics card as a new mobo will be PCI-Express and also new CPU....... GRRRRRRRR

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:22 17 Dec 2008

So it's not Windows as I don't even get the POST boot up menu, it's not the graphics card and it's not the monitor.... so what else could it be?

Try another PSU, classic symptom of low voltage on the 5v rail.

reddwarfcrew 11:26 17 Dec 2008

I have a spare PSU so i can give that a go.

reddwarfcrew 19:36 11 Jan 2009

Tried new PSU and same problems. Also now been experiencing read/write problems with the hard drives losing detection when PC is on.

The PC temps are running fine at 40c for the CPU.

Not done a re-build of XP yet, but have ran CCleaner.

The mobo has 4 sticks of ram and I have tried it running with various combinations to see if it was a ram problem.

Only thing that is left is the mobo..... or is it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie