Help with Desktop Set Up

chestnutcake 17:18 16 Dec 2010

Hi
My neighbour used to have a laptop before it was stolen and now he has decided to go for a Desktop. He has purchased a Packard Bell iMedia 14523uk. He is waiting for his daughter to come over to set this up for him. He has opened the box and found an installation sheet and on this there is a panel showing items that perhaps should be in the box,in particular, two installation discs. However, there is an asterisk in this panel saying Optional. He cannot recall seeing any discs in the box.
Can anyone say if these discs are essential, do all new computers come with discs ? Anyone know please. I realise it may be best to check with Parkard bell but I thought I would just ask on this forum first. There is always someone willing to help.

tullie 17:21 16 Dec 2010

Not all computers come with discs.When you setup the computer,you will get the option to burn your own.It is essential that you do this.

chestnutcake 17:26 16 Dec 2010

Tullie and 124 - thanks so much for your help, this forum is brilliant. I will passs on the message and make sure that discs are burnt when the unit is up and running.

Pineman100 17:57 16 Dec 2010

Just one other small point: bear in mind that burning recovery disks may be a "once only" option. So once they're made, tell your friend to be very careful not to lose them.

chestnutcake 18:59 16 Dec 2010

Thanks Timeman, I appreciate your advice and I most certainly will ensure they are kept in a very safe place.

chestnutcake 19:00 16 Dec 2010

OOPS Pineman, slipped up typing your name, am full of a stinking cold. Thanks again

Pineman100 19:04 16 Dec 2010

That's OK. I quite like Timeman - it makes me sound like a visitor from the future!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?