help with a dell latitude

Magik ®© 09:31 06 Sep 2005

hi, my grandaughter has been given a dell latitude, think it must be an old business laptop, it had win2000 in it but she never got any disks or anything with it, she had a new win98 disk which they have put in, now for the problem.....the image on the screen does not fill it, there is a 1 to 2 inch black border round it, and it is set a 16 bit..they downloaded a video driver from the dell site, and it is still the same..so one thing at a time, could someone please tell us what to do next..

thank you on behalf of Cheryl and myself.

Diodorus Siculus 10:33 06 Sep 2005

Right click on desktop

choose properties

then display (I think)

then set the resolution - you can choose from a few.

As long as you have the correct drivers, it will be ok.

Magik ®© 10:36 06 Sep 2005

hi, I think that is where the problem is, there are no settings, so that say, they are now bringing it over here later to-day..so i will be back later............thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:52 06 Sep 2005

Dell downloads click here

Diodorus Siculus 13:45 06 Sep 2005

Must have been the wrong driver then... try some from Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link. Generally Dell are good at providing drivers for older machines.

Magik ®© 14:10 06 Sep 2005

I am back, the laptop is a latitude CPi, the screen is set to 640x480 and 16bit and will not change, I have downloaded the first "display driver" a 1503fp.exe. tried to install it, and it comes back and tells me the best driver is already installed..I must bear in mind that she starts school again tomorrow :-))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 06 Sep 2005

Run Everest Home Edition click here to get details of what graphics fitted.

Nothing like a deadline to keep you on your toes :0)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 06 Sep 2005

Run Everest Home Edition click here to get details of what graphics fitted.

Nothing like a deadline to keep you on your toes :0)

Magik ®© 15:19 06 Sep 2005

back again.....no modem so we can not download, if i can get passed the first problem.she will be more than happy, the diplay tells us it is 600x800, but it is not,it is 640 x 480. we have just noticed that if the monitor icon, down by the clock, when clicked it says 640x480, but we can not get rid of the tick, i think if we could it might sort it,, when we go to display and move the slider up, when we click apply, it jumps back to what it was..thanks

Diodorus Siculus 16:17 06 Sep 2005

If no modem, then how did you get the graphics driver?

Anyway, if you burn Everest onto a CD it can be installed from there.

woodchip 16:27 06 Sep 2005

Old Laptop you will be limited on the resolution that it will run at. the refresh rate should be set to no more than 60Hz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?