Help with delete and reinstall

iamconfused 17:20 18 Mar 2008

Many thanks to all of the kind people out there
who have tried to help me with my problem with
Internet Explorer.

Unfortunately none of the suggestions have worked
and it seems that I now have to decide to go for a delete and clean reinstall and hope that that will cure the problem.

That will be new territory for me.
I would like some help in how best to go about this as it seems to me to be a major step.

Any help will be appreciated please.?.

Many thanks
Iamconfused.

Gongoozler 17:30 18 Mar 2008

Do you have a retail version of Windows or was it supplied preinstalled on the computer? You might find it easier to install Mozilla Firefox. If you do, then after a short while I don't think you will want to go back to IE.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:30 18 Mar 2008

Start settings - control panel -add remove progarms - windpws components(second down on left) - untick Internet exploer box.

Reboot Pc on complettion of removal.

To reinstal same procedure just tick the box (you will need an XP CD or the windows setup file save on the hard drive (i386 folder).

iamconfused 21:45 22 Apr 2008

Many thanks Gongoozler.
My Windows XP Pro was supplied with my computer.
I have now loaded Firefox as you suggested and all is well and I can connect to the internet with this.
But I have a big problem in that Windows updates and other updates and numerous e mail links direct me to I E. What do I do to get round this problem please.

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\.
I have done exactly as you have suggested and I have gone through the whole sequence but it does not cure the problem
Any other ideas please.

Gongoozler 09:31 23 Apr 2008

Tools - Options - Main - System Defaults. Alongside "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup", click the "Check now" button and make Firefox the default. I'm not sure this will help with anything from Microsoft, but it should do the job with most downloads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?