Help connecting to wireless

Carley Jay 10:45 31 Jul 2007

PB MZ36-R-017 UK
I got my new laptop today and the wireless isn't working, is there anyway i can get it working? please help

Batch 11:33 31 Jul 2007

I'd suggest going through and checking the whole install process methodically following instructioins from something like:

click here

or

click here

Carley Jay 12:19 31 Jul 2007

it's inbuilt wifi adapter and there are no pcmcia card slot for my wireless card either and i have no idea how to get the inbuilt working.

rdave13 12:40 31 Jul 2007

If the OS is Vista then when you click "connect to" does vista find your network? If not then you may need to set it up manually.
Click 'network', 'network and sharing centre', 'setup a connection or network' and click on 'manually connect to a wireless network'. Click next.
Fill in the network name. Choose the security type and enter the security key. In wep it's the thirteen case sensitive characters. (Not your network password if you have one.)
Click next and it will look for the network. Suggest you do this as near to the router as possible initially. If it connects then all well. If the connection is lost when further away from the router then try changing the channel in the router. Try channel 9 to start with.

pj1664 13:08 31 Jul 2007

Try click RUN and in the box type services.msc a window will open up and go right down the list and look for wireless zero configuration and click on it and on the start up it should be Automatic, if its not, then you need to start up. close the tab and you should be on line, might need to repair the connection if it still does not start up. After this you should get on line.

Carley Jay 13:10 31 Jul 2007

I found out what was wrong, packard bell didn't include a wireless card, even though it stated there would be one, thanks for everyones help.

Carley Jay 13:18 31 Jul 2007

I have one last question though, since im using the packard bell MZ36-R-017 which wireless card should i purchase? any suggestions

Batch 13:50 31 Jul 2007

As the lappie doesn't have a PCMCIA slot, you'll need a USB wireless adapter that is compatible with the wireless support of your wireless router.

BTW, if it was specified as having wifi and it hasn't, why don't you complain to your supplier (and at least get them to supply a free USB adapter).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?