Help with Codex

Salut 09:26 12 Mar 2012
Answered

I have a Toshiba Netbook (NB305)and am having trouble getting video clips to play through Open Office impress. I have VLC media player through which the video clip plays OK. When I try to insert the video clip OO impress states 'Format not recognized'. I have converted the video into MP4 format and still cannot get it to play through impress. A little while ago the suggestion was made that the codex file needed up dating. I have downloaded K-Lite, yet, the problem persists.

The Netbook runs Windows 7 starter. There may be something that is obvious to others that I am missing: any help would be appreciated.

rdave13 10:25 12 Mar 2012
Answer

I don't use OO but found this. It might help and is a PDF document,

http://www.tcaps.net/Portals/0/technology/training_docs/OpenOffice/ImpressVideo.pdf

Salut 12:01 12 Mar 2012

rdave13, thanks for pdf. Whilst the note is helpful I still cannot get the video to play: really frustrating as the video plays OK on the desktop.

Woolwell 12:07 12 Mar 2012
  Ian in Northampton 16:41 12 Mar 2012

Just fyi - it's 'codec', plural 'codecs'. 'Codec' is a contraction of coder/decoder. (Or compressor/decompressor - opinions vary...) But it's an algorithm that's applied to video to reduce file size while trying to maintain quality - and then a corresponding algorithm at the other end to unravel the coded/compressed file into something you can watch.

Salut 09:20 13 Mar 2012

Hmm. Thanks for the link Woolwell (and the correction Ian). Still no joy I'm sorry to say. What seems strange is that using OO impress on the desktop I have no problems at all in running a video which is why I am a little confused as to why it wont run it on the Netbook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?