Help with clone old HD onto new HD

Ayup_Tyke 21:45 09 Mar 2007

Ayup

I have bought a SATA HD as a new addition to my system. I would like to install my operation system (win2k) onto it, then transfer all the programs and files (not the operation system) from my old IDE HD on to the new SATA HD, i.e clone the drive but without the operation system files.
Is this possible?
I don't want to have to reload all my current programs etc and I don't want to clone the current drive as I have 3 copies of win2k on the drive taking up valuable space.I have Acronis true image 10
Thanks in advance
Ayup Tyke

LastChip 23:11 09 Mar 2007

Many of your current programs will have written to the operating system registry, therefore, if you install your operating system to your SATA drive, the registry entries won't be available for those programs.

Cloning is an all or nothing operation. Either you clone the lot, or none at all.

Ayup_Tyke 23:17 09 Mar 2007

Thanks Lastchip,
could you tell me then if there is a way to remove the extra copies of windows? If I removed them then I could clone

terryf 04:14 10 Mar 2007

Are they 3 working copies? I have heard of dual boot but never triple boot, what are the names of the folders with the 2nd and 3rd sets of windows.

Ayup_Tyke 11:41 10 Mar 2007

terryf
they are names NT, NT2,& NT3. I have had a number of blue screens and had to reload window, but cause I wanted to keep my docs. (before I knew to store stuff in a different folder) I had to reload a new version naming them above. I can boot from any of the three.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?