help with via chipset please

Viv-208691 21:25 06 Jul 2004

Hi there, I have just reinstalled win xp onto my pc and stupidly i presumed it would automatically find all connected hardware but, infact, none of the usb port, pci etc drivers have been installed. I have a 'via chipset' cd but dont seem able to make it install any of the drivers.

Can anyone offer some urgently needed assistance??

Many thanks

jonnytub 21:28 06 Jul 2004

are you connected to the net now on this pc ?

Viv-208691 21:36 06 Jul 2004

no, this is a different computer.

thanks for your help, please continue to assist!!

Night Ryder 21:37 06 Jul 2004

If you have the motherboard install disk, it will have all the drivers for the Via chip set.
Windows alone will not recognise these.
I you cannot find the motherboard driver disk you will have to go on line, download and install the latest VIA chipset drivers. try here click here

jonnytub 21:52 06 Jul 2004

what's stopping you install from the disk?

Viv-208691 21:58 06 Jul 2004

there are loads of indidvidual drivers inside hundreds of different folders, its all very confusing. Sorry, im a little ignorant when it comes to computing!

Thanks for your help though, im currently trying night ryder's suggestion (online drivers).

jonnytub 22:03 06 Jul 2004

ok, when your done and if Night Ryder's advice hasn't worked, go to control panel, click on add new hardware (with your cd in the drive) and let the system do the work.

hillybilly 22:16 06 Jul 2004

What version of Xp are you loading Home or Pro?

TOMMO01 22:23 06 Jul 2004

OK. Do you know the make and model number of your motherboard? If you do then that will help as far as possible on board sound, network and or graphics.

With respect to the motherboard controllers, download the latest VIA 4 in 1 set from VIA site.

Here is the link

click here

You can also read the page supplied for reasurance on what you are downloading.

After dowloading and installing the driver set, this driver sets up a whole host of controllers by simply following the instructions, you can check in device manager and see any items that have an exclamation mark next to it.

However, posting back saying I have no sound or modem, without supplying details of make and model number, would be a fruitless task.

Viv-208691 22:29 06 Jul 2004

I have a 'Via KT266A' chipset running on a win xp pc which is just over 2 years old.

I will try the above instrustions and let you know how it goes

Kind regards

hillybilly 22:31 06 Jul 2004

Have you downloaded SP1?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?