Help changed heatsink now nothing

llollipoppi 15:26 27 Apr 2010

Hi, I changed my heatsink today as it was overheating during video editing and now it the machine powers up but nothing else no keyboard lights monitor and doesnt sound like any hard drive activity. I wore a wrist strpa throughout the process and followed instructions can you please advise? is there something I have missed?

Please help I have exams next week and need my machine:(:(

Rahere 15:35 27 Apr 2010

I'm assuming you are referring to a processor, not graphics card.....with the former there's usually a thermal cutout to prevent damage.

When you replaced the heat sink did you use thermal paste and refit correctly? Just a small amount is required, literally a couple of strips a milimeter or so wide, then place the heatsink ontop, tighten on the diagonals so it's flat on the CPU.

Possibly something is loose - Disconnect from the mains before you do any work at all on the inside - check the CPU and heatsink are properly seated, the heatsink fan has power, and everything like mobo, RAM, CD/DVD any other item is secure in it's slot, that wires are connected,

Now reconnect power and try booting up.

northumbria61 15:41 27 Apr 2010

Have you aligned the heatsink properly and used a good thermal compound - see here

click here

llollipoppi 15:44 27 Apr 2010

Sorry for the typo it is the cpu.
Was completely disonnected when I worked on it.
click here
this is the heatsink that i fitted, it required me to remove the modular system and put on a new backing plate. It feels secure enough. There was thermal paste preapplied to the new heatsink. I cleaned the old thermal paste off the cpu with artic clean remover then used the arcti clean purifer.

I will double check all cables just now and recheck the new heatsink

llollipoppi 16:00 27 Apr 2010

Sorry for the typo it is the cpu.
Was completely disonnected when I worked on it.
click here
this is the heatsink that i fitted, it required me to remove the modular system and put on a new backing plate. It feels secure enough. There was thermal paste preapplied to the new heatsink. I cleaned the old thermal paste off the cpu with artic clean remover then used the arcti clean purifer.

I have double checked all cables everything is in place how can i tell if the heatsink is the problem? this is my 1st attempt at changing one. thanks for your help

llollipoppi 16:21 27 Apr 2010

I have removed the heatsink, the thermal paste is spread over but missing out the corners should i spread it out more?

northumbria61 16:23 27 Apr 2010

Heat can be an issue. Check to make sure there is enough, but not too much, thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink. Also confirm that the fan works properly and that the heat sink is mounted correctly.

As previously mentioned by "Rahere" there is usually a thermal cut-out which may have operated to prevent any damage - It may be a case of leaving the PC off for a while and then trying again.

It does appear that you have disturbed something during your removal/fitting stage so I would advise you to check and re-check.

northumbria61 16:31 27 Apr 2010

You need to apply thermal grease not too little and not too much - about the size of a large grain of rice and spread it out evenly without going over the edges. (If it looks too much - it probably is !) I am beginning to think this is where your problem lies.

Rahere 16:41 27 Apr 2010

Sounds OK - but when you removed the original heatsink and framework was it hard work budging the old? Sometimes it's a brute force job and this can cause connection problems on the fragile motherboard.

If there are no beeping noises on power up my first thought is it might be RAM unseated or playing up...try reducing the number of factors involved to deduce what the problem is, taking it back to basics:

Remove all but one stick of RAM, disconnect everything extra like other drives accessories etc so you have just the windows hdd, and graphics card along with the cpu+ram on the motherboard, a screen, keyboard and mouse.

llollipoppi 17:23 27 Apr 2010

Hi,

Well I went back to the start, cleane the thermal paste off the heatsink, reapplied it then reseated the heatsink. Connect everything up again and now its working, so not sure exactly what it was maybe not seated properly?

Thanks very much for all your help I can get back to revision now!:):):)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?