Help - Can't start computer

1woody 12:37 02 Jul 2007

Running windows XP on computer which worked fine until sunday last. Now getting message;- 'Isass.exe system error'When trying to update a password this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is incorrect.
Have PC Angel which gives system recovery or access to system restore but same result as above and also tried stating in safe mode plus returning to last good menu but each time can't go beyond this message

Any solutions please

davidprc 12:47 02 Jul 2007

Go to the Microsoft website and search the error. It will probably give you a good idea of what the problem is.

rawprawn 13:55 02 Jul 2007

>> Re: lsass.exe-system error

It appears you have the SASSER WORM, lsass.exe has a flaw in it, sasser worm attacks that flaw and causes problems for the system, grab the latest Stinger from Network Associates(Creators of McAfee Virus Scan), grab this patch click here after grabbing those 2, turn off system restore, unplug ur computer from the internet line, run Stinger, it should remove the crap that is causing that, afterwards, install the patch, then enable the windows firewall and restart computer than renable the System Restore.
click here for Stinger

rawprawn 13:57 02 Jul 2007

If you cant get past "Password" to start, try booting from your XP CD

1woody 15:48 02 Jul 2007

thanks for this - please advise the process for booting from xp cd. as I can't get windows past this error message.

rawprawn 16:24 02 Jul 2007

Booting from a CD is a simple matter of starting up your computer with the relevant CD inserted. If this doesn’t work for you automatically, you’ll need to change your system’s boot order in the BIOS. Restart your computer and press whichever key you are told is needed to enter Setup or BIOS.

In the Boot section you should then be able to adjust the settings labelled Boot Order, Boot Device Priority or possibly some other variation on this wording. Make sure that your CD/DVD drive is set to be your first boot device and you should be able to boot from a CD.

rawprawn 16:46 02 Jul 2007

PS. it is usually F2 to get into BIOS

1woody 17:01 02 Jul 2007

I have tried to reboot from the CD and got the following message 'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll
please re-install

brundle 17:03 02 Jul 2007

Do an in-place XP repair.
click here

rawprawn 17:04 02 Jul 2007
  1woody 17:19 02 Jul 2007

I have tried to do the XP repair but the system prompts for a password which I don't have. Is this a standard word or would it have been amended /set by the builders of the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?