Help! Can't reinstall my Free AVG Virus Software

Greengo 22:18 16 Jan 2006

I ran my AVG updates as normal. Midway through my system crashed(Your system found an error and is shutting down). I uninstalled the software and reinstalled and ran the update again. Everytime I try and installs the software it crashes with the same error message. Please help!

Skyver 22:30 16 Jan 2006

What version of Windows? If it's XP do a disk check, start menu/run, type `chkdsk /F`, and a system file scan , start menu/run, type `sfc /scannow` - have your XP CD handy.

LivEviL 22:38 16 Jan 2006

right after u have done the sfc /scannow thing if that hasnt sorted it

download ccleaner click here

right now go into the directory where AVG is installed (i.e c:\program files\AVG free ect ect) delete any files from there ! then click on start>run>regedit

then delete any reg files from AVG

in HKEY_CURRENT_USER > software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > software

then run Ccleaner to get rid of all the junk left from it! then u should be able to install!

Greengo 09:48 17 Jan 2006

Skyver and LivEvil

I have tried both of your suggestions but I am still experiencing the same problem. I did however forgot to mention that after my system crashed, windows wanted me to send an error report which stated that windows had to shutdown because of a device driver. I have checked device manager and all is working properly.
I recently installed a 3COM Wireless 11G PC card, could this be the problem? There are currently no driver updates for this PC card on the offical website. Can anyone help?

LivEviL 17:57 17 Jan 2006

erm..... have u tried installing it in safe mode? or in normal mode but making sure that all unessessary background programms are shut?

hmmm this is a weird one? have u tried downloading it from a different mirror and do u have the latest version of AVG?

Sharpamatt 18:28 17 Jan 2006

how old is your AVG? if pre 06 go to grisoft and download the new version, this should solve your AVG.

I feel it more likely you hardware chnge is the cause of your crash than the program

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017