Help, Can't get Windows Update to work.

Jimmy14 20:09 10 Jul 2006

I reloaded XP Home Edition back onto my laptop today. I installed my internet connections then my Norton Internet Security suite 2006. I clicked on start, all programs and at the top clicked "Windows update" When it opens up in Internet Explorer 6 it says its checking to see if windows has the latest updating software, fair enough. Then when it stops the 2 options come up, Express or custom updates. NO matter what one I click on it will come up Checking for the latest updates for your computer for about 2 seconds in green then suddenly direct me to a page saying
"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

I highlight the Recommended sentence in the tick box and click continue. It directs me to a new page saying "Downloading and installing the latest update software" then comes up "Registering and goes to 100%". After that is finished it directs me back to the main Microsoft Windows update page which I should click Express or custom again but whatever one I click again it comes up the same and same again about downloading new updating software which I have done about 10 times and still not working.

Any ideas,advice or help is greatly appreciated because this Is driving me round the bend.

James

brundle 20:11 10 Jul 2006

give this a go click here

Jimmy14 20:43 10 Jul 2006

It worked.Thanks very much, that was a great help. Just have to install the 47 updates now:)).

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?