HELP. CANT GET INTO WINDOWS

redsusan 13:24 15 May 2006

This morning i tried to load windows and it stuck on the windows page without any desktop icons, i rebooted and now i cant get past this message
windows did not startup successfully,a recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
bla bla bla
i have tried safe mode and all other suggestions and nothing works. please help i'm stuck in a internet cafe waiting for help.
i have windows xp pro.
thanks susan

Genius1 13:29 15 May 2006

What's the exact message? Also, I'd post in the 'Helproom' forum as that forum seems to get more attention (if the problem's urgent).

redsusan 13:52 15 May 2006

went into helproom ,but nobody replying.

ade.h 15:00 15 May 2006

Duplicate postings are not a good idea. It's contrary to forum etiquette.

ade.h 15:02 15 May 2006

You might want to close your other thread by ticking it and place a link to this thread. It's best if all replies are kept in the same place because it helps us to help you.

If you post the error message verbatim, I will try to assist you.

Genius1 10:27 16 May 2006

I meant that redsusan should maybe have posted in the Helproom forum to start off with (instead of posting here) if it's an urgent problem (and it sounds like it is).

The Spires 14:56 16 May 2006

Try a Windows repair, hopefully this procedure will help you fix Windows without losing your settings & data.

First you need to enter the BIOS. This normally means pressing a key usually Del, immediately after switch-on. A message to this effect usually flashes up on the screen when you switch on, such as "To enter setup press Del".

When the BIOS screen appears you will see a set of menu options. Look for one labelled Boot or Startup and select the item Boot Order, or First Boot; this will be set to HD0, HD1 or the serial number of your hard disk drive.

Change the setting to read CD, CD-Rom or the serial number of your CD/DVD-Rom drive, Save the Change and Exit the BIOS. Open the CD-Rom drive, insert your XP disk and restart your computer.

You will now see a screen message saying "Press any key to boot from CD", press the space-bar and a message appears informing you that "Set-up is inspecting your hardware configuration". This will be replaced by a blue screen, press Enter and you should see a "Welcome to Setup" menu, press Esc to continue; important, do not press R for Repair as this will start the Recovery Console.

The Windows Licence Agreement will now be displayed. Press F8 to signify acceptance and the next screen will list your operating system (usually just Windows XP). Select it and proceed to the next screen, which will have the option "To Repair the Selected Windows installation press R". Hit the R key and the installation begins.

Windows Set-up will now go through what looks like a normal installation routine so be ready to respond to the prompts. When Set-up has finished, after a couple of restarts you should see your original desktop with all your shortcuts applications and programs.

You will need to go to the Windows Update site to get all of the critical patches.

rodriguez 17:57 16 May 2006

Your computer might already be set to boot from a CD so you might not need to go into the BIOS, but what The Spires says is accurate and doing a Windows Repair should fix it.

redsusan 08:58 18 May 2006

thank you

redsusan 20:24 20 May 2006

Hi I'm back .firstly thank you for the above support but as i am a newbie i didn't know what to do so once again back to the shop i bought the PC from. he turned it on and said everything had gone and he didn't know why!!!!!!!!i was gutted especially as all my son's A level work was lost (haven't got the hang of backing things up yet).anyway he "fixed" it and charged me another £47.00 .now when i load windows i get this message.
This copy of windows is not genuine you may be a victim of software counterfeiting. and

you may be a victim of software counterfeiting,this copy of windows is not genuine and is not eligible to receive the full range of upgrades and product support from Microsoft. click here ti get more information and resolve this issue
GET GENUINE RESOLVE LATER.
i dont know what to do ,if i click on either i might lose everything again, and being a single mum i cant afford to keep going back to the repair shop.
sorry about the long post.
windows xp pro with service pack 2
Susan

VoG II 20:33 20 May 2006

You really need to get a legitimate Windows CD.

However, in the short term there are several methods for getting rid of this message click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires