Help on buying a router

henza_mapenza 18:03 16 Jan 2005

I need to share the internet connection on two computers and am thinking of getting a router. But i am not sure about what i need for a router (wires, cables?) or does everything come with it. I am looking for a relative cheap but good router, probably no more than £35. can anyone help me on this? types or models and information. And i am using telewest broadband.

LeadingMNMs 18:13 16 Jan 2005

What type of modem do you have ? If its a USB model then you should probably get a router with a built in modem since there aren't many that support USB modems. On the other hand, an ethernet modem will normally connect straight to a normal router, and hence to internal modem is required.

Apart from the router, you'll need to make sure both machines have a Network Card, and then connect them both to the router using a straight through ethernet cable, as opposed to a crossover ethernet cable.

Routers with modems click here

Routers without modems click here

Cables click here (remember non-crossover)

You also need to make sure the router has two ethernet ports, though normally they start at 4.

henza_mapenza 16:13 17 Jan 2005

i have a ethernet modem so i am looking for a route without a built in modem. will any kind of router without a modem, work if i have an ethernet broadband modem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?