help buying new PC

devbo 12:03 07 Sep 2010

hello i need to buy a new pc but i don't no where to start i don't want to spend alot of money coz PC's tend to break on me. i really need to know what i need in a pc.

i use the pc for watching video's internet downloading music and playing PES ( pro evolution soccer) 6. not intrested in other games. the pc must also be able to run AutoCAD, and PDMS software easily. any suggestions would help.

howard64 12:35 07 Sep 2010

when I was in your position I bought the parts and put the pc together myself for some reason they do not seem to break anymore. Most of the suppliers sell a bare bones setup which is tested and you buy the extra ram, hard drive and graphics card to suit.

northumbria61 12:56 07 Sep 2010

Following on from Howard64 - Novatech are a well respected firm which supply "barebone" systems - there are plenty to choose from - and then you add other components,peripherals of your choosing.
click here
It all depends on how confident you are.

I am with Howard64 on this as I like to choose the parts that I want (that way I don't end up with anything I don't want) But there are some decent complete setups about for a reasonable amount of outlay. If you want to go down the route of a "complete" system then you would have to state what your maximum "budget" is and then advice will follow from someone on here.

devbo 13:28 07 Sep 2010

thanks for quick respone, i am not very confident with pc's. i wouldn't know what parts i need anyway. so i would prob head down the complete route. max price would £380 ( i know it's small).

howard64 17:34 07 Sep 2010

is that to include a monitor?

The Kestrel 19:47 07 Sep 2010

This looks a good offer if you need a monitor as well as the base unit. click here

If you can go up to £400 and don't need a monitor, this is a good deal click here.

northumbria61 23:15 07 Sep 2010

I would go with The Kestrel and choose the ACER - much better specification - besides I would rather deal with E-Buyer.

devbo 10:38 09 Sep 2010

thanks for that i don't need a monitor, would those 2 pc be able to handle PDMS and PES6 they don't seem to have a dedicated graphics card.

The Kestrel 16:08 09 Sep 2010

The Acer base unit at ebuyer I pointed out above does have a dedicated graphics card - check the technical specifications.

northumbria61 16:12 09 Sep 2010

Graphics

* Dedicated ATI HD5450 (512MB DDR3)
* Intel® G43 on-die graphics solution, featuring:
* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500(Intel® GMA X4500)
* Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 (Intel® DVMT 5.0) support
* Microsoft® DirectX® 10 support
* Enhanced 3D and Intel® Clear Video Technology support
* PCI Express® 2.0 x16 graphics card support

kjrider 14:49 10 Sep 2010

Just to mention that PC World and Curry's will give you £50 off if you take in an old laptop.

Did that recently, but had to argue a bit as the laptop was old, Win 98 and had a plug in CD drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?