help with buying a complete desktop system

diddi.ash 14:09 02 Feb 2006

I am looking to buy a complete desktop for my son, dont really want to pay any more than £400 but it needs to be able to play his favorite game 'renagade' on line, so i need one with a good graphics card....
Any ideas where the best place to purchase one from would be helpful as i really dont know what i am buying!!

Graham ® 14:44 02 Feb 2006

I can't see you getting a gaming machine for £400.
click here seems a good deal, you could always upgrade the graphics later if necessary.

Bear in mind 'gaming' graphics are quite expensive. Best to visit the shop and try some out.

Graham ® 14:47 02 Feb 2006

Sorry, that link is the graphics card in
click here

Graham ® 14:51 02 Feb 2006

This is also a good buy
click here

You would need to add a monitor such as
click here

diddi.ash 14:53 02 Feb 2006

I believe i need a 256BIT 3D/128Bit 2D Graphic Engine providing Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Optimizations
I have seen them on ebay for £300 with out a tft monitor, but you dont know what you really getting..

diddi.ash 14:54 02 Feb 2006

Graham
Thanks for that link, thats a great bargain!!
Do you think it will play the game?
Also is acer a good make?

diddi.ash 15:00 02 Feb 2006

What is the best chip type or does it not matter?

Ross Murray 15:09 02 Feb 2006

Acer is one of the top 5 pc manufacters, and is also the official sponser of Ferrari. Yeah they are a great brand. In terms of processor, you probably wont get much high end processors at the price mentioned, but you may find a few pentium 4's/ AMD Semprons etc.

diddi.ash 19:52 02 Feb 2006

is it possible to buy the cheapest from say like currys and buy a 256mb radeon graphic card to put in?

Totally-braindead 22:41 02 Feb 2006

I can see what you're thinking, the problem is the cheapest PCs such as the £300 ones come with onboard graphics which cannot be upgraded because they have neither an AGP slot or a PCI Express one. You would be better asking the Forum members if you see something you like if you're unsure of whether it will play games and can be upgraded.

woodchip 23:08 02 Feb 2006

Take a look click here

6 year warranty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?